Newbie FreeNAS build

marccof

Cadet
Hello,

I decided to try and build my own FreeNAS box in replacement of my aging QNAP NAS... I am quite used to building PCs but I have no experience in building a server/nas box so I would like some advice from enlightened freenas experts :smile:

Below are the parts I have currently selected. I live in France and availability of some components (especially server motherboard) is limited. This selection is probably overkill for my needs which are mostly limited to samba drives / light streaming / openvpn server / freecloud server but I did not find a suitable cheaper motherboard (which must, unfortunately be in mini-itx size).

MotherboardSupermicro X10SDV-6C-TLN4F
RAM32GB = 2 x Timetec Hynix IC 16 Go DDR4 2400 MHz PC4-19200 Unbuffered ECC 1.2V CL17 2Rx8 Dual Rank
PSUCorsair SF450 Platinum
SSD (for booting freenas)Crucial CT120BX500SSD1 (120GB)
HDD5x WD RED WD40EFRX (already owned).
EnclosureHomemade, good airflow but restricted to mini-itx motherboard size and SFX PSU.

Can you please tell me if this selection seems reasonable ? Are there some components known to be incompatible together/with freenas ?
Thank you for any insight !

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't see any issues there.

hervon

Patron
Nice build marccof,
Platinum PSU maybe a bit overkill as you said. I'm jalous here. ;-)
If you could find used parts parts you could end up with a cheaper build but itx used parts are scarse...

Bozon

Contributor
Hello,

I decided to try and build my own FreeNAS box in replacement of my aging QNAP NAS... I am quite used to building PCs but I have no experience in building a server/nas box so I would like some advice from enlightened freenas experts :)

Below are the parts I have currently selected. I live in France and availability of some components (especially server motherboard) is limited. This selection is probably overkill for my needs which are mostly limited to samba drives / light streaming / openvpn server / freecloud server but I did not find a suitable cheaper motherboard (which must, unfortunately be in mini-itx size).

MotherboardSupermicro X10SDV-6C-TLN4F
RAM32GB = 2 x Timetec Hynix IC 16 Go DDR4 2400 MHz PC4-19200 Unbuffered ECC 1.2V CL17 2Rx8 Dual Rank
PSUCorsair SF450 Platinum
SSD (for booting freenas)Crucial CT120BX500SSD1 (120GB)
HDD5x WD RED WD40EFRX (already owned).
EnclosureHomemade, good airflow but restricted to mini-itx motherboard size and SFX PSU.
Can you please tell me if this selection seems reasonable ? Are there some components known to be incompatible together/with freenas ?

Thank you for any insight !
Yes, very nice formatting of information, and thoughtful choices.

marccof

Cadet
Thank you for your answers !
Building and setting everything up will keep my mind occupied during the epidemic...