Windows file managers using SSH/SCP, that avoid long path/filename issues - do they exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilez

Guru
I'm getting a little frustrated at the limitations of Windows explorer and Explorer replacements on Windows, for manipulating files on my FreeNAS box when they're nested with long-ish paths or have descriptive filenames.

I can use WinSCP and other SCP clients to bypass the Windows API issues for local-remote transfers, but I don't know of a drag-and-drop client that does the same for remote-remote file management mainly on a single target server (such as reliably moving a selection of files/dirs on my FreeNAS box to a new dir, or copying them across shares)

I could change to use shorter paths and filenames but I'd rather not because it would hit me in terms of productivity (I find it's intuitive and "works for me", and I'd like to keep that approach). Also I like tools to work elegantly, and I don't want the constant question "will this 6 hour file copy hit a long path/filename issue at some point and need redoing". I'd like to be able to assume if the BSD file system can cope, it'll be fine. I've tried a few explorer replacements that use Windows long name APIs, and they work somewhat but still hit the exact same issue, because they all draw on the Win32 or Windows long path APIs.

Are there any Windows GUI clients out there that can use either two SCP/SFTP connections, or use SSH and CLI in the background, that will let me completely and cleanly bypass all Windows API long path/filename issues?

m0nkey_

MVP
Use Midnight Commander. It comes pre-installed on the FreeNAS base OS. Just run mc at the shell.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm getting a little frustrated at the limitations of Windows explorer and Explorer replacements on Windows, for manipulating files on my FreeNAS box when they're nested with long-ish paths or have descriptive filenames.

I can use WinSCP and other SCP clients to bypass the Windows API issues for local-remote transfers, but I don't know of a drag-and-drop client that does the same for remote-remote file management mainly on a single target server (such as reliably moving a selection of files/dirs on my FreeNAS box to a new dir, or copying them across shares)

I could change to use shorter paths and filenames but I'd rather not because it would hit me in terms of productivity (I find it's intuitive and "works for me", and I'd like to keep that approach). Also I like tools to work elegantly, and I don't want the constant question "will this 6 hour file copy hit a long path/filename issue at some point and need redoing". I'd like to be able to assume if the BSD file system can cope, it'll be fine. I've tried a few explorer replacements that use Windows long name APIs, and they work somewhat but still hit the exact same issue, because they all draw on the Win32 or Windows long path APIs.

Are there any Windows GUI clients out there that can use either two SCP/SFTP connections, or use SSH and CLI in the background, that will let me completely and cleanly bypass all Windows API long path/filename issues?

Windows 10 introduced a new GPO Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem > Enable NTFS long paths and corresponding registry entry HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem LongPathsEnabled (Type: REG_DWORD) that remove most of the MAX_PATH limitations. Perhaps try this?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is a note to spammers pushing crapware:

YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE, STOP TRYING TO PUSH YOUR CRAP ON THIS FORUM.

USE YOUR BRAINS. IF YOUR PREVIOUS TWO ATTEMPTS WERE DELETED, DO NOT TRY AGAIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.