Password manager causes error "Windows 10 explorer network error 0x80070035 the network path was not found"

vafk

Contributor
If you ever receive the error "Windows 10 explorer network error 0x80070035 the network path was not found"

first check if you are using a password manager. I use KeePass but this may apply to other managers as well.

There are various reasons for getting this error but the reason when that message hit me I like to share with you.

My two FreeNAS worked like a charm for months. Last week I went for a short holiday and powering down the servers. When I came back and restared my network I was not able to access none of my SMB-shares from my computers running Windows 10 and 7. I could access the GUI but unable to access FreeNAS from File Explorer. Because I installed a fresh Windows 10 on my main computer just before I left for holiday I suspected this to be a possible reason and looked in a complete wrong direction.

A Google search brought the suggestion to enable SMB1.0/CIFS Client (in Turn Windows features on or off), enable insecure guests logons (in Local Group Policy) and run a PowerShell-command "Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName SMB1Protocol".
This did not restore my drives either and I continued searching and got a bit confused not finding a solution and could not do my work.

Only then I clicked on Network in Windows Explorer to get a list of my computers. I wondered why there was a computer named ROOT and when I clicked on it I found all of my missed shares. First I did not realize what happened because I was so upset and tired from a long car trip.
I suspected my router not to resolve host names and did a ping on freenas1 which was negative. Only then it did a click in my head that ROOT was FREENAS1 before. A check in freenas GUI in networking brought the certainty. Both my FreeNAS had the hostname changed to "root" instead of "freenas1" and "freenas2". But how did this happened and who did this to my system while I was away? Slowly I realized that I use KeePass for my passwords and sometimes fight with it because it will paste information in websites where it should not (and does not where it should do but that is a different story). Long time ago I cahnged something in network settings. In that moment KeePass changed hostname to "root" because "root" is the user I log in FreeNAS GUI. I did not spot it and saved the unwanted change and because I did not restart the FreeNAS then I only hit me today when I rebooted after months.

S***t like this may happen to others as well but when you don't find it you may end restoring your complete freenas and still not find this silly joke. So if you use password managers or form fillers be careful when they paste in sensitive fields like the hostname the wrong information.

One may end up setting up a new FreeNAS (or reload configuration backup) but will not find the cause of the problem.

Last edited: