No Network discovery with Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLSegraves

Explorer
Hi everyone,

I upgraded my desktop to Windows 10 and lost network discovery of my FreeNAS box. It's clearly something with Windows 10 because: 1) did nothing changed on the NAS, 2) nothing changed on the network, 3) everything operates as normal on my Windows 8.1 machines.

I can still get to the NAS by using the hostname (\\NAS01), but cannot access it through the ip (\\192.168.x.x).

I've been digging through posts all week and I'm still at a loss as to what the issue with Windows 10. Can someone give me a hand?

System Information
Hostname NAS01.WORKGROUP Edit
Build FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400S CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory 16266MB
System Time Fri Nov 27 12:12:02 MST 2015
Uptime 12:12PM up 51 mins, 0 users
Load Average 0.16, 0.09, 0.08

Thanks,
Chris

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
why not just map your drives? why do you need that network discovery? You can still see it at \\ip.of.free.nas?

CLSegraves

Explorer
I have them mapped on my desktop and that works fine there, but I need/like to be able to see the NAS in network discovery for my wife's laptop.

No, I cannot see it using the ip of the nas (\\ip.of.free.nas).

solarisguy

Guru
[B]@CLSegraves[/B], somewhat similar here. FreeNAS does not show in Network Discovery, when using Windows 10.

However, the share can be mapped using the IP address (e.g. using \\10.9.8.7\My_Storage) in Windows 10. And when using the name, although then the server name has to be in lowercase... (maybe something in my samba configuration).

CLSegraves

Explorer
Nope, I try to use the IP address on the Windows 10 system and it doesn't work. I do the exact same IP address lookup using a Windows 8.1 system and it works.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Nope, I try to use the IP address on the Windows 10 system and it doesn't work. I do the exact same IP address lookup using a Windows 8.1 system and it works.
I have deployed about 25 windows 10 systems. They connect to samba servers configured as stand-alone and AD member servers by IP address and hostname without problems. I suggest the following (off the top of my head):

1) turn off all home devices that access the NAS and turn off jails. Unmap network drives. Run "tcpdump" on your FreeNAS server and try to browse it by IP address from your windows 10 client. See if your windows 10 computer is actually sending packets to the FreeNAS server.
2) apply all updates to windows 10
3) disable windows firewall and any additional 3rd party security software on Windows 10 workstation.
4) open "cmd.exe" as an administrator and run "rsop" to generate a resultant set of policies to see how group policy is configured on your computer. It's possible you have some group policy weirdness going on.

If applying updates and disabling firewall doesn't work, and tcpdump shows the windows 10 computer trying to connect, then attach your /etc/local/smb4.conf file to this thread.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
@anodos, what is your experience with Network Discovery in Windows 10 and FreeNAS ?
Just enabled and tested Network Discovery. My experience is that it is currently broken. Opening "cmd.exe" and typing "net view" results in "System error 1231 has occurred. The network location cannot be reached." So it seems to lie squarely on MS's side of the fence. That being said, I don't actually use it so it doesn't matter for me. :D

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm astounded that it works properly in Linux and not Windows, where it SHOULD work

mattbbpl

Patron
For what it's worth, I see the same thing as anados on my Win10 box. I can't see it in Network Discovery, but I can access it by both IP address and hostname. It's been that way since I installed Win10 a few months ago, but I haven't bothered to try to fix it. It was just one of those, "Huh, that's weird," moments.

gpsguy

And keep trying to force users to upgrade, even when they say NO.. I installed GWX Control Panel on 2 Win 7 boxes this weekend to stop the madness.

What can I say, MS's Windows 10 motto is "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is."

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.