windows explorer cannot see FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.A.C.

Cadet
FreeNAS disappeared from windows explorer but I bookmarked it into windows explorer favorites and I can reach it from there. It happened sometimes earlier but it was not permanent, but now from my computer it disappeared. Funny that on other computer it still shows up here and there. Any idea what could that cause and what the solution might be?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sorry can't help, you give us no information about what FreeNAS version you are running nor any other info the forum rules require. If I were a mind reader I'd give you an answer.

D.A.C.

Cadet
Sorry for the missing info. That is what I have:
FreeNAS-9.2.1.3-RELEASE-x64 (dc0c46b)
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2603 0 @ 1.80GHz
65464MB
I am not an expert, this server issue has just fallen into my neck when a collage left. Could you please help?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Your server may not have a static IP address which could cause this issue. Go into the Network tab and check the settings, see if it's static or DHCP. Also what OS is your computer using? XP has issues but Win 7 or 8 is better at handling this type of problem. One other thing, FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 should be released soon and it has an updated Samba (CIFS) which also may solve your problem.

Also, when you look up the network info, pay attention to the Hostname. In your Windows Explorer enter \\hostname and this should bring you right to the server.

D.A.C.

Cadet
you are right, we do not have static IP, I am using W7 on all computers. Maybe that new version of FreeNAS will solve my problem. Anyway, thank you for your help.

gpsguy

If you must use DHCP, create a reservation on your DHCP server, to ensure that you receive the same IP address all the time (for all intents, a static address).

joeschmuck

Old Man
Exactly what gpsguy said which is why I asked about this in the first place. If the IP address changes (which can and does happen with DHCP) then your computers have a difficult time locating the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.