FreeNAS file storage not accessible through file explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

First time I've come on here seeking help, but I just can't figure this one out.

I've been using FreeNAS for a couple of years now and it's worked fine until a little while ago. Normally when I want to copy over new media files onto the server
I go through file explorer so I can copy them across nice and easy. I tried doing this again some weeks ago, typed in the ip //nas-ip, but it came up with a message
saying "Windows cannot access...".
Now I did swap routers over a few weeks before this, and adjusted the ip's to suit it (Gateway, default route etc). Following this the server worked for a while, but suddenly one day I couldn't access
the files via file explorer. I tried a different computer, this worked for a couple days, and then the same thing happened. Now I can't access the files at all.
However, I still can access the gui (both FreeNAS settings and the interface for the Emby plugin) through the browser.

I'm at a loss as to what is causing this and seeing as I'm not too knowledgeable about all things server-related, I can't solve this problem. Could someone please help me out?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

You haven't given us much to work with - please read the forum rules (link in the masthead), particularly the topic on the need for you to provide hardware and environment information, and come back with it.

Do you have valid DNS server info in your router? Use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 if in doubt.

While you're at the keyboard, give \\nas-ip a try...

Thanks for the reply!

Essentially I bought the microserver and upgraded the RAM and added the harddrives.
My specs are as follows:

System: HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8
RAM: 2X 4GB DDR3 PC3L-12800E ECC
CPU: Intel Celeron G1610T 2.3Ghz 2-Core
HDD: 3X Western Digital Red 3TB WD30EFRX , 1X 256GB SSD (for OS)

I have FreeNAS build 9.10.2-U6 installed on the SSD and using only the Emby plugin.

The DNS settings in the router are all good, though I'm unsure if it all checks out on the FreeNAS side of things. Could the issue be related to that?

\\nas-ip still does not work...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What is the IP if your freenas box? What's the subnet on your network? Are you using dchp or static ip's. What is your default gateway? Any logs in the messages file?

Redcoat

MVP
Windows version? Any recent updates coincident with times that the two computers lost access to the files?

What is the IP if your freenas box? What's the subnet on your network? Are you using dchp or static ip's. What is your default gateway? Any logs in the messages file?

Below can be found an attached screengrab of the IP addresses being used.

I have configured the NAS for a static IP address, the default gateway was adjusted as required. I haven't touched the nameserver IPs since
it was first set up.

Am I able to check the logs through the webGUI somehow?

Attachments

• nass.PNG
    nass.PNG
    55.1 KB · Views: 610

Nick2253

Wizard
If you restart the server, does it make a difference?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Can you map a network drive in windows?

Can you map a network drive in windows?

I did successfully map a network drive on one PC before the problem started. Then a little later the issue kicked in and the mapped drive wouldn't function,
saying it was unavailable. So I used a different PC for a week or so (without mapping a network drive on it), and then suddenly one day I was unable to access the files on the media server through file explorer. Now of course I can't map that drive anymore.
It's just strange that it worked for a while on the other PCs when it stopped working on the first one.

This was after having switched providers, prompting me to change the IPs to suit the new network, as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.