SOLVED Can't access FreeNAS from Windows Explorer

ShaunIOW

Dabbler
Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 fully updated
HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 1610T which is running FreeNAS-11.2-STABLE

The FreeNAS server is connectd direct to an Asus RT-AC3200 router and everything else is connected to the router with Cat5e cable.

As per title, everything was working fine until earlier this week, then all of my NAS drives disappeared from Windows Explorer, I hadn't changed any settings nor installed /uninstalled anything, they were there when I shut down last thing at night, and not there when I booted in the morning. I've been messing about for 3 days now trying to solve this.

I've got them all back now showing in Windows Explorer, but I cannot access the FreeNAS due to error 0x80070035 The network path was not found, I can access the FreeNAS and log into it on the PC in the web browser, and the Plex server (the only thing I use on the FreeNAS) can be accessed from the PC and TV etc, but I cannot access the FreeNAS in Windows Explorer meaning I can't transfer files to/from it.

Any ideas?

Cheers

melloa

Wizard
I hadn't changed any settings nor installed /uninstalled anything,
they were there when I shut down last thing at night,
and not there when I booted in the morning

How is your FreeNAS IP configured on your router or @ FreeNAS itself? Is it static? Is it dynamic? Has the IP changed? Did you logged in the console to see what it the current IP? Have you tried to access your samba shares using that IP?

melloa

Wizard
Try to enable SMB1 and enable "insecure guest logons" from gpedit.

OP stated no changes where made ... besides a shutdown and power on.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Try to enable SMB1 and enable "insecure guest logons" from gpedit.
NO, this is a terrible suggestions and not going to fix anything. SMB1 is disabled by default because it's insecure and super old.

What you need to do is figure out why the person is seeing the failure.

What happens when you try to connect direction to the freenas server using an ip address? Are you trying to browse via teh network explorer option or are you trying to mount a share? Try mounting a share via ip?

ShaunIOW

Dabbler
NO, this is a terrible suggestions and not going to fix anything. SMB1 is disabled by default because it's insecure and super old.

What you need to do is figure out why the person is seeing the failure.

What happens when you try to connect direction to the freenas server using an IP address? Are you trying to browse via teh network explorer option or are you trying to mount a share? Try mounting a share via IP?

It is a static IP and if I try to access by the IP address it just goes straight to the FreeNAS dashboard. I'm trying to view via the Windows File Explorer where all internal drives and extrnal drives are listed down the left. All the drives are visible and I can accesss the Buffalo NAS drive and a Western Digital Elements drive connected to teh routers USB3 port no problem, but I can't access the FreeNAS drive, I just get the network parth can't be found. I can access it direct (get to the dashboard) using the IP address, I can see it in the router attached devices list, I can use the Plex server on it and view video files on the the TV's and PC, and can ping it OK.

ShaunIOW

Dabbler
How is your FreeNAS IP configured on your router or @ FreeNAS itself? Is it static? Is it dynamic? Has the IP changed? Did you logged in the console to see what it the current IP? Have you tried to access your samba shares using that IP?

It is a static IP that hasn't changed since I installed a new router last February, I haven't been able to acces the shares as I just go straight to the dashboard.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It is a static IP that hasn't changed since I installed a new router last February, I haven't been able to acces the shares as I just go straight to the dashboard.
You are making zero sense. you can not get the dashboard through a smb connection to your shares. You should go read the manual and share screenshots of what you are trying to do. We have no clue clue what you are talking about.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you entering IP address instead of \\IP address in your Windows Explorer address bar? Because doing so will open your default browser and tell it to go to the server at that IP address, which obviously leads to the webGUI.

Relentless

Cadet
I'm experiencing the same issue as the OP. After reading various other documents about 1903 it seems that there is a break in the update itself something to do with the protocol itself. In my instance, the freenas server has disappeared from the network after the 1903 client updates. I am unable to browse the network and locate the nas server but when using Windows explorer "\\ip address", you can view the shares and either map or remap at that point. I would agree that enabling SMB1 and insecure guest via gpedit should be an absolute last resort. I have verified on my end atleast that 1803 and 1809 are unaffected and this only applies to 1903. I would suggest that you re-verify the ip of your freenas server and at a minimum assign DHCP/R or a static IP. If you can ping it, your system can as atleast see it. Try remapping the drives.

Holoh Feymer

Cadet
I've have this problem today. Everything is working fine for 3 months until suddenly out of nowhere i'm unable to access my SMB shares from windows 10. I know it is not windows 10 issue as I can access my synology SMB shares by typing run: \\192.168.1.6 but when I type he Truenas \\192.168.1.7 it will prompt me with username and password but it will not accept any known valid credentials.
I have rebooted my TrueNas. all my TrueNas shares in Proxmox, Ubuntu and containers are working fine . Just my windows 10 PC.
It is so weird as it just happened out of nowhere without any changes. Any advise or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Try clearing out the credentials in Windows' Credentials Manager or whatever it's called.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Some users have had their Windows computers "out of the blue" start using NTLMv1 auth for SMB shares (windows security settings changed with possibly software installed). We reject these auth attempts of course. If credential manager clearing doesn't resolve the issue, I'd look at output of midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG | jq and check the login attempt there.

Holoh Feymer

Cadet
Hello All, thank you for your advice. I tried both solutions as suggested above. I can confirm that it is windows issue as I have tried on another windows 10 machine and that is able to access the shares from TrueNas with no problems. Truenas has been working perfectly from the very beginning.
I ended up re-installing windows 10 as fresh and all works fine. thanks all.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's a little bit more extreme than the suggestions above, but ok.