SOLVED TrueNAS and Windows Network

jhorvath

Cadet
I recently upgrade to TrueNAS core 12 from FreeNAS. Originally, I would be able to go to the network tab in windows explorer and just tap my server. Now in TrueNAS that only works about 30% of the time. Otherwise, it gives me the Windows cannot access \\ServerName error. The only way to get access to it is to manually enter \\192.168.X.X in my explorer URL search. Is this a known issue or did I miss configure something. Also, this is a SMB share, but the network tab works for MAC, so it seems to only be a windows 10 issue.

Morris

Contributor
I recently upgrade to TrueNAS core 12 from FreeNAS. Originally, I would be able to go to the network tab in windows explorer and just tap my server. Now in TrueNAS that only works about 30% of the time. Otherwise, it gives me the Windows cannot access \\ServerName error. The only way to get access to it is to manually enter \\192.168.X.X in my explorer URL search. Is this a known issue or did I miss configure something. Also, this is a SMB share, but the network tab works for MAC, so it seems to only be a windows 10 issue.

I experienced this when I first set up. From the home page, expand "Network" and then select "Global Configuration".
In the upper right side under "Service Announcement" Select all three announcement types "NetBIOS-NS", "mDNS", and "WS-Discovery". Only WS-Discovery should be needed yet I believe selecting all three is what got it to work for me. I also changed the Hostname during my troubleshooting.

Good luck

pschatz100

Guru
@jhorvath Please mark this thread solved. It will help others who are having this problems and searching the forums for a solution.

xedarius

Cadet
I had this problem after an upgrade, it is frustrating. For me it didin't have anyhing to do with the broadcast configureation.

I found if I went into Services and edited SMB Sevice. I noticed that the NetBIOS name was incorrectly set to TrueNas rather than my hostname. This must have happened during the upgrade. I set the NetBIOS name to the same as my hostname (without the .local domain) and order was restored.

olafbeserka

Cadet
I am having a similar issue. I have two SMB pools that were working then were not. I ended up stripping ACLs on both pools, created a new user/group since it was previously set to root, went back and setup ACLS with the new user/group and still did not have access. I selected NetBIOS-NS from the Global Configuration and that gave me access to one pool. Now I am unsure how to get access to the second pool.

I have tried also accessing the second pool by IP address but give me "Windows cannot access..." error.

Jo Makal

Cadet
I have the same issue. One laptop is able to connect but the other one can't. The thing is, I was able to access it before since I used it to setup the first TrueNAS build. The only thing I did was re-installed TrueNAS from a USB stick to an SSD. And now this happens.

TimberwolfD1

Cadet
I just experienced this issue with TrueNAS Core version 13. The resolution was to update the Samba (SMB) service settings so that the NetBIOS name was identical to the server name.

Services > SMB (configuration pencil icon) > NetBIOS Name*

Set the NetBIOS Name = HostName (from the Dashboard - System Information pane)