SOLVED Windows can't connect to SMB share

MechWarriorZero

Dabbler
Windows can't connect to my share, I enter the password and it saying its not correct, I even changed it and still cant access my share folders

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Are you trying to connect as "root"? If so, stop, go and generate a proper user account, and try again. This changed awhile back for reasons I don't have a handy link for.

Davvo

MVP
As much as I have faith in the arcane knowledge of the wizards that dabble in this forum, you should give them more infos.
You could start with your ACL configuration, maybe a screenshot.

Davvo

MVP

MechWarriorZero

Dabbler
here is where I got the info

Use “Start->Run” and type in “gpedit.msc” in the “Run” dialog box. A “Group Policy” window will open.
Click down to “Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options.
Find the policy “Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level”.
Right click on this policy and choose “Properties”.
Choose “Send NTLMv2 response only/refuse LM & NTLM”.
Click OK and confirm the setting change.
Close the “Group Policy” window.
You are done configuring Windows! Now configure your browser(s).

Ryan Gillette

Dabbler
here is where I got the info

Use “Start->Run” and type in “gpedit.msc” in the “Run” dialog box. A “Group Policy” window will open.
Click down to “Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options.
Find the policy “Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level”.
Right click on this policy and choose “Properties”.
Choose “Send NTLMv2 response only/refuse LM & NTLM”.
Click OK and confirm the setting change.
Close the “Group Policy” window.
You are done configuring Windows! Now configure your browser(s).

Thanks much for this find. I am now able to run the last few updates of TrueNAS Scale with my windows 11 machine. I was stuck running Feb / March version due to Windows not connecting to my SMB shares.

Update:
After several hours, my SMB shares have stopped responding on my windows 11 machine.
TrueNAS Scale 22.02.0.1 was the last stable release for me. All releases after that cause SMB to stop working after a short period of time.

Last edited:

Claus Hviid

Cadet

Guest access in SMB2 and SMB3 are disabled by default in Windows 11 from Build 25267 Pro editions no longer allow a user to connect to a remote share by using guest credentials by default

set the following DWORD registry value to 1 (insecure guest auth enabled) or 0 (insecure guest auth disabled):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
AllowInsecureGuestAuth

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How about you set up users instead of turning on stupid features that should never have left the figurative factory where the literal Oompa Loompas write code for Microsoft (What, you didn't know? They were kicked out of the candy industry after some unfortunate incidents a few decades ago, following which they were thrown under the regulatory bus.)

gurahl

Cadet
I'm having a similar problem. I can connect in an elevated powershell on windows 10, but it won't show up in explorer. I tried the group policy change and insecure access to no avail. I've got my TRUENAS users set up and made sure they are on the ACLs for both the Share and the underlying Dataset. If I use regular old command prompt to try to connect, I am actually prompted for my truenas username and password, but after entering those it tries to make me select a certificate from my windows cert store, and I don't have any certs tied to the truenas accounts.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

My original question: can connect to smb share with windows powershell but not explorer