SOLVED Windows 10 permissions when browsing to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkeyce

Cadet
I understand that Windows 10 >1703(?) no longer supports SMBv1 by default and as such Windows Computer Browsing is gone.

But I'm seeing a behavior that I don't understand, if I MAP a Freenas SMB share to a Windows drive letter using the IP address (\\192.168.XX.XX\sharename)the permissions seem to work as expected, I can create a folder or file with no problem. However, if I map the drive using the NetBIOS name (\\freenas\sharename) OR I just browse to the server via the NetBIOS name or the IP address, I can get to the share location but permissions won't grant me write permissions (can't create a file or folder).

Is anyone else seeing this kind of behavior? is it expected? is there something I need to set such that no matter how I access the share from a windows machine I have the correct permissions?

Darkeyce

Cadet
Thanks for the videos. They weren't exactly what I was looking for, but they did get me to clean up my users and groups, which ultimately led to more consistent behavior from my windows clients. And I fixed a plex permissions thing on the way!

I think is as "fixed" as it's gonna get for me.

Now I just need to find a way to simply network shares for my wife and kids so they don't need to know what server stuff is on, they can browse and find things.

Status
Not open for further replies.