Veeam Windows Bare Metal Restore and SMB browsing

Yorick

Wizard
Howdy,

I am trying to understand why the "network neighborhood browsing" in Veeam's bare metal restore on Windows doesn't work.

Network is without AD and has a workgroup called WORKGROUP
Backup is kept on FreeNAS 11.2-U3 called \\freenas, running Samba for the SMB share
Samba is configured to offer WSD (this is what the Win10 clients use) and, for testing with Bare Metal Restore, to participate in Local Master browser election. SMBv1 is turned off.

Despite all this, Bare Metal Restore does not "see" the FreeNAS server when browsing for it.
It is, however, able to connect when given the path manually: \\freenas\Backup\PC-Name

My question:
Anyone know what Bare Metal Restore uses for browsing? Some form of NetBIOS? I'd have expected the local master election to work, then, but clearly not.
Or how to find out what it uses for browsing? Maybe I need to tcpdump on the FreeNAS server.
WSD doesn't seem to be supported, else I'd have expected the NAS to show up immediately.
Any pointers on how to configure Samba to "play nice" with Veeam Bare Metal Restore?

This is more a "because goshdarnit" question, obviously typing the path works.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Howdy,

I am trying to understand why the "network neighborhood browsing" in Veeam's bare metal restore on Windows doesn't work.

Network is without AD and has a workgroup called WORKGROUP
Backup is kept on FreeNAS 11.2-U3 called \\freenas, running Samba for the SMB share
Samba is configured to offer WSD (this is what the Win10 clients use) and, for testing with Bare Metal Restore, to participate in Local Master browser election. SMBv1 is turned off.

Despite all this, Bare Metal Restore does not "see" the FreeNAS server when browsing for it.
It is, however, able to connect when given the path manually: \\freenas\Backup\PC-Name

My question:
Anyone know what Bare Metal Restore uses for browsing? Some form of NetBIOS? I'd have expected the local master election to work, then, but clearly not.
Or how to find out what it uses for browsing? Maybe I need to tcpdump on the FreeNAS server.
WSD doesn't seem to be supported, else I'd have expected the NAS to show up immediately.
Any pointers on how to configure Samba to "play nice" with Veeam Bare Metal Restore?

This is more a "because goshdarnit" question, obviously typing the path works.
Does the freenas server appear in network neighborhood of your windows client?

Yorick

Wizard
Does the freenas server appear in network neighborhood of your windows client?

Yes it does. That's WSD though, and I highly doubt the Veeam Bare Metal Restore boot stick supports WSD. If it did, this would be working.

Yorick

Wizard
Okay. Hang loose, I am copying some files over to a new dataset. That should be done by evening EDT, I'll take a capture then.

Yorick

Wizard
This is with the restore stick already running, doing a "browse" and then when that fails, connecting to the share directly.

Attachments

• veaam-smb.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 266