iSCSCI between host and guest with Bhyve ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beut

Cadet
Hello,

I'm a bit lost with my new Freenas conf.
Old one was quite standard: Freenas bare metal, no VM, two jails and Samba for sharing to Windows pcs.

I've some XEON 2630L v4 with Supermicro X10SRI-F, 64 GB RAM, 2 x 64 GB SSD for ESXI or Freenas boot, 2x 240 SSD for VM storage, 1x LSI 9260 for RAID 1 if necessary (ESXI boot) and 2x LSI 9211 for HDD (12 x WD RED 4 TB).
1 Intel 750 PCI-E SSD 400 GB for SLOG and 1 Intel S3610 400 GB for L2ARC if needed.

I need Freenas, plus one Linux VM for Plex media server and Nextcloud and one Jail or VM for newsgroups dowloading.

But I get rid of Samba so often (performances, stability with Windows ACLs...) that I'm thinking about a new setup: Freenas serving iSCSI HDD ZVOL to Win 2012 R2 VM.
I would like to serve windows clients from 2012 VM with native SMB, plus AD, DNS, LDAP, file dedup functions.

Three possible setups from the most complex one (hardware and software) to the simple one:
- ESXI + VM FREENAS on LSI 9260 SSD 64 GB datastore (with LSI 9211 passtrough just for HDD iSCSCI ) + VM Windows 2012 R2 as only iSCSI target + others VMs on 240 GB SSD datasore,
- Freenas bare metal with Bhyve for hosting all VM and serving HDD iSCSI to Windows 2012 R2,
- forgetting 2012 R2 and working on Freenas configuration for SMB, AD, DNS, Linux VM...etc...

So, as iSCSI will be between VMs or between host and VM on the same physical server (through virtual switch), will I encounter performance penalty unlike third solution ?
Is it possible to use spare parts (Intel 750 or S3610) to help or will it be garbage ?

I'm also thinking about maintenance : easier to maintain ESXI separated VMs or Freenas + Bhyve ?

Really thanks for your help.

Last edited:

beut

Cadet
Well,
I 've decided to give a try to Bhyve: Freenas 11.1 will give GUI to this hypervisor and I'd really prefer to have Freenas running on hardware.

So, I only need to choose between the two last setups.
VMware network driver is efficient for iscsi performances between VM, I don't know for Bhyve.

Last edited:
This weekend my sisters and I came across an add on for VM-bhyve that integrates freenas / iscsi this may help peple choose vm-bhyve / freenas over vmware.

ixnas-api
FreeNAS/TrueNAS scripts to help / hook into vm-bhyve for iSCSI creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.