Issue w/Samba "dying" in 11.1, but not in 9.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mc

Dabbler
A few months back, I re-installed my NAS -- I went from a FreeNAS 9.x system that was running under ESXi 6.0 to bare metal on the same hardware running FreeNAS 11.1-U2. Under release 9.x, I never had this problem even once... but now this is happening almost weekly and it's quite annoying.

Ever since the re-install to 11.1, I've had some issues with Samba deciding to completely stop responding until the service on FreeNAS is manually restarted. By that I mean, when I try to access shares (even through mapped drives) I get a Windows error about the Samba share being inaccessible, but if I SSH into the FreeNAS server, I can clearly see smbd and nmbd happily humming along. Over the past few months, I've been looking through the forums and trying various tweaks, but it seems like after several days (sometimes up to a week), Samba will die (all shares inaccessible, even mapped drives) even though FreeNAS is apparently running fine, including my Plex Media Server jail. The second I restart SMB, it works again for roughly the same amount of time (several days to a week). I've looked through the logs and the only noteworthy thing I see about every 15 minutes in nmbd.log is:

[2018/03/28 23:19:26.263458, 0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:354(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)
find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name HADESGATE<1b> for the workgroup HADESGATE.
Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
[2018/03/28 23:34:26.272292, 0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:354(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)
Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name HADESGATE<1b> for the workgroup HADESGATE.
[2018/03/28 23:49:26.579134, 0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:354(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)

(From what I've gathered, these are normal if you don't have an AD server on the network... the Samba config is in the HADESGATE workgroup and so is the Windows 10 PC I'm accessing it from).

The tweaks I've made to the Samba config auxiliary parameters via the FreeNAS GUI are:

local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 99
wins support = yes

None of these seem to have had an effect... (the only reason I added the wins support one is because it reduced log spam slightly that was complaining about the lack of a WINS server on the network).

Any ideas? I did just increase my Samba logging level from Minimal to Full, so maybe that will tell me more. Keep in mind this problem predates the 11.1-U3 smbpasswd fiasco; although I was hoping 11.1-U4 may have fixed something relating to this, but alas it has not.

Another thing I will try next time it happens is accessing the shares from a non-Windows 10 machine (e.g. an Android phone w/SMB app).

Specs:

FreeNAS 11.1-U4
SuperMicro H8SGL-F
AMD Opteron 6376 CPU
64 GB ECC RAM

8x 4TB Seagate NAS SATA Drives
3x 3TB Seagate SATA Drives
2x 120GB Samsung EVO 850 SSDs
Intel X540-T1 PCIe 10GbE NIC

D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this? If not, please create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Joe Mc

Dabbler
Still kind of tinkering and researching. I did figure out that it appears to be Windows 10 / my individual PC-related. I am able to access my Samba shares from ES File Explorer (Android App) just fine. For now I removed the "wins support = yes" from my Samba parameters although I have not removed the FreeNAS IP as the WINS Server in my DHCP server yet. I believe it's WINS or name-resolution related but only for my Windows 10 PC. The increased logging did not produce anything particularly noteworthy or conclusive, except a blurb or two about WINS resolution pertaining to my PC so that's what prompted me to try removing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.