FreeNAS server not showing up in Network (11.2-RC1 and Windows 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mannekino

Patron
Hi,

I had hoped this issue would be resolved with my new FreeNAS server thinking I messed up something with my old server along the way. But unfortunately my new FreeNAS server isn't showing up either in the Network browser in Windows Explorer.

Things I've checked and changed:
  1. Workgroup is setup correctly on both my PC and FreeNAS server.
  2. I also set a Description in FreeNAS in the Samba settings and on my PC.
  3. My FreeNAS server is the local master browser I've checked this in the logs "Samba name server FREENAS-NEW is now a local master browser for workgroup ******* on subnet 192.168.178.3".
  4. My router also had a built-in NAS feature that was a master browser previously. To be sure I did a factory reset of my router and disabled the NAS feature of my router.
  5. My Windows 10 network is configured as a private network and network detection is enabled.
  6. I see no error messages in the Samba log files indicating something is wrong.
  7. I've mapped the shares I created in FreeNAS on my PC and everything works fine but my FreeNAS server doesn't show up in the network browser.
What am I missing here? Can't seem to figure out what I did wrong. I've attached a screenshot of my Samba settings.

Is there a Samba command I can use to see all the PCs in the same workgroup? The command "smbstatus" does list all connected devices and my shares but doesn't give any workgroup information.

U5hDpwK.png

m0nkey_

MVP
For some reason, later versions of Samba no longer show up under Networks on Windows. You can still reach it by IP or name if you have DNS entry for it.

Mannekino

Patron
Yes, both via IP and the name works well but the server itself is not showing up in the network browser. Is there no way to fix this issue?

kdragon75

Wizard
Your best option may be to map a network drive.

Mannekino

Patron
Yes I did that of course, and everything works well. I was just used to seeing the server in the network browser also. There must be a fix for this somehow.

Redcoat

MVP

kdragon75

Wizard
If you care about security, don't do anything to enable smbv1. Anything that needs this to work correctly needs to be fixed by devs/vendors. (Not necessarily a FreeNAS issue)

Mannekino

Patron
Here you will find some useful reading on this issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows

Scroll well down the page to Explorer Network Browsing

Thanks for the resource; I've read it. It seems then everything is working as intended and with the update of Windows 10 last year network browsing is no supported. When I think of it, network browsing stopped working for me with my old FreeNAS server around that time last year. I thought I maybe messed something up with the configuration of my old server. I don't really miss it, I just thought maybe it was a symptom of a bigger problem or configuration error on my part.

I've always mapped the shares as network drives and this works perfectly fine, also when using the hostname of the Samba server. So everything is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.