Smb shares does not show up since freenas is present

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Dear all,

Recently I've replaced a centos based samba server with freenas which works great BUT since I replaced the freenas no share will show up in network browsing for my windows clients (network browsing is on indeed).

Let me quick explain:

The freenas and All windows clients (windows 7 pro) using the same workgroup.
I do have another samba server (different workgroup)
Additionally there is a windows server 2008 r2 just for printer sharing ;-) using the same workgroup as the freenas and windows clients

Maybe the windows server and the freenas are fighting for masterbrowsing ?

Does anybody has an idea what it can be or to solve my issue ?

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Dear all,

Recently I've replaced a centos based samba server with freenas which works great BUT since I replaced the freenas no share will show up in network browsing for my windows clients (network browsing is on indeed).

Let me quick explain:

The freenas and All windows clients (windows 7 pro) using the same workgroup.
I do have another samba server (different workgroup)
Additionally there is a windows server 2008 r2 just for printer sharing ;-) using the same workgroup.

Maybe the windows server and the freenas are fighting for masterbrowsing ?

Does anybody has an idea what it can be or to solve my issue ?
Set up AD on the server 2008r2 instance. :D (you need Windows CALs to do that legally).
Another less dramatic option: if the windows server is running 24x7, consider configuring it as the WINS server for your network. Many times the presence of a WINS server will sort out netbios name resolution problems.

The contents of /var/log/samba4/log.nmbd may give some clues about what's going on.
Does your FreeNAS server have the same name as your old CentOS based server?
Are the netbios name and hostname of the FreeNAS server the same? If hostname is foo.bar.com, NetBIOS name should be "foo".
Are you able to access the FreeNAS server by IP address?
From windows client, run command nbtstat -A <ip of freenas>. Does your FreeNAS server's netbios name show up?

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Set up AD on the server 2008r2 instance. :D (you need Windows CALs to do that legally).
Another less dramatic option: if the windows server is running 24x7, consider configuring it as the WINS server for your network. Many times the presence of a WINS server will sort out netbios name resolution problems.

I try to avoid AD and WINS And I also would love to avoid printers as well ;-)

The contents of /var/log/samba4/log.nmbd may give some clues about what's going on.
Does your FreeNAS server have the same name as your old CentOS based server?
Are the netbios name and hostname of the FreeNAS server the same? If hostname is foo.bar.com, NetBIOS name should be "foo".
Are you able to access the FreeNAS server by IP address?
From windows client, run command nbtstat -A <ip of freenas>. Does your FreeNAS server's netbios name show up?

The name of the Freenas and the old samba server differs.
The hostname is: freenas02.bar.com the netbios is freenas02 and the alias is also freenas02-
Here is the Freenas log.nmbd:

query_name: Failed to send packet trying to query name AWGWORLD<1d>
[2017/07/07 12:10:42.693956, 0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd.c:58(terminate)
Got SIGTERM: going down...
[2017/07/07 12:10:43.037686, 0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
STATUS=daemon 'nmbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections [2017/07/14 11:26:55.846111, 0]
../source3/nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:276(dump_workgroups)
dump_workgroups()
dump workgroup on subnet 192.168.0.247: netmask= 255.255.255.0:
AWGWORLD(1) current master browser = UNKNOWN
FREENAS02 40809a23 (Samba 4.6.4-GIT-5fe3bc2)

So it looks like that even the Freenas itself doesn't know who's the master browser right?

Attached nbtstat output from my windows server querying the freenas.

Hmmm !?

Attachments

• output.jpeg
    output.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I try to avoid AD and WINS And I also would love to avoid printers as well ;-)
Ditto on the printers. I'm pretty sure that even when humanity has mastered interstellar travel, there will still be some poor schmuck trying to fix printer problems and cursing engineers at $printer_company.
The name of the Freenas and the old samba server differs.
The hostname is: freenas02.bar.com the netbios is freenas02 and the alias is also freenas02-
Here is the Freenas log.nmbd:

query_name: Failed to send packet trying to query name AWGWORLD<1d>
[2017/07/07 12:10:42.693956, 0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd.c:58(terminate)
Got SIGTERM: going down...
[2017/07/07 12:10:43.037686, 0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
STATUS=daemon 'nmbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections [2017/07/14 11:26:55.846111, 0]
../source3/nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:276(dump_workgroups)
dump_workgroups()
dump workgroup on subnet 192.168.0.247: netmask= 255.255.255.0:
AWGWORLD(1) current master browser = UNKNOWN
FREENAS02 40809a23 (Samba 4.6.4-GIT-5fe3bc2)

So it looks like that even the Freenas itself doesn't know who's the master browser right?

Attached nbtstat output from my windows server querying the freenas.

Hmmm !?
Ugh. None of the windows machines are configured as the preferred master, right? Perhaps try adding the auxiliary parameter preferred master = yes under Services->SMB.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Ditto on the printers. I'm pretty sure that even when humanity has mastered interstellar travel, there will still be some poor schmuck trying to fix printer problems and cursing engineers at $printer_company.
Ahahahah Yes for Sure!

Ugh. None of the windows machines are configured as the preferred master, right? Perhaps try adding the auxiliary parameters preferred master = yes and domain master = yes under Services->SMB.
Right. I hadthis two parameters recently whithin in my centos samba server I will try adding this later to the Freenas.

But the weird thing is that I am also unable to see or to browse the shared printers from the windows server + to see or browse the shares form a different samba server on the network since I integrated my Freenas.

Status
Not open for further replies.