Will it run FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jad|3r

Cadet
Hi all. I am new to FreeNAS and new to computer building, but I feel confident enough I can build it. I have the knowledge [of the internet], to do it.

I have put together a build for my home computing needs and wanted to get the community's input on whether or not it will run FreeNAS. My primary use for this NAS would be home photo / video storage. I would also like to remotely access my files from anywhere, etc. I might give access to my family members [x4] to enable them to backup their data.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you could recommend something more beneficial, I would consider that too. Thank you in advance for your help.

Motherboard - Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel B150 Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboard, GA-B150M-DS3H

Ram - HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory (HX421C14FBK2/16)

Hard Drives - [this or similar] - I will need 3x2TB for now - HGST/Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 HDS724020ALE640 2TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0GB/s 3.5" Internal Desktop Hard Drive

Processor - Intel BX80662I36100 Core i3-6100 3M Cache, 3.70 GHz Processor & Cooler Master - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan Bundle

Power Supply - CORSAIR CXM series CX450M 450W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Modular

Case
I am having an issues choosing a case. I am not looking for something HUGE, just 4-6 bays, sleek. hot-swappable would be nice, but not necessary. I would like to spend less than $200 on a descent case. I'm open to suggestions. My choices:
Zalman ATX Mid Tower Case - Black MS800
Fractal Design Define R4 Cases, Black Pearl (FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL)

Misc Supplies:
Two SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35
UPS - APC Battery Backup & Surge Protector (BE750G) - 750VA 10-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
SATA cables - Monoprice 18-Inch SATA III 6.0 Gbps Cable with Locking Latch and 90-Degree Plug - Blue
Wrist Strap - Rosewill ESD Anti-Static Wrist Strap Components

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think you have a steep learning curve here for FreeNAS and what it can do and more important, how to use it. The first thing you have wrong here is not using a system which supports ECC RAM. While it won't prevent you from running FreeNAS, it can bring into question the validity of your data stored on it.

Second is the hard drives for storage. You need to fully understand how storage works in this system and what you can and cannot do to add additional storage later. I'm making an assumption that you think you can just add a hard drive later on and all will be good. Well that isn't the case and you put your data at risk. Of course maybe you are aware of this but you should be forewarned.

Look at this thread "Will it FreeNAS" (were I moved your thread to) and see what others are doing.

Also keep in mind that the most expensive part are the hard drives. These will fail and you will replace them so you will always be spending money on them. The other components are likely to last you well over 10 years and you should spend a reasonable amount of money on them. You could buy a complete server solution and then add some more RAM and the hard drives, that can save you a lot of money if you like. Again, read through this thread at other options before spending a dime on substandard hardware as listed above.

A few notes on the parts you have listed:
The CPU comes with a great stock heatsink, no need for the oversized one you got listed and it saves you ~$30.
The MB, RAM, and CPU do not support ECC.
The Hard drives are Desktop drives, not rated for NAS use. That doesn't mean they are bad but they may not hold up to the NAS environment.
The PS is okay however a Seasonic is better and doesn't cost much more.

If you are looking to spend up to $200 on a case, re-evaluate what you purchase. I'd spend the money on the components and buy a cheap $30 case. A case doesn't need to look cool or anything, it just needs to hold the parts and allow good air flow. If you are handy with your hands, a Dremel tool can be used to open up air flow, add a few fans (don't do case mods with the hardware installed, it sounds like common sense but guess what, some people don't have it). Eventually you may want more hard drives and at that point in time you can re-evaluate if you want a better case.

My criticism is meant to be thought provoking, not to upset you. No one here wants someone to spend their hard earned money on a system that will just give them problems in the future.

Now it's time for some Thanksgiving leftovers! :cool:

melloa

Wizard
Hi all. I am new to FreeNAS and new to computer building, but I feel confident enough I can build it. I have the knowledge [of the internet], to do it.

Good thing your researches brought you here :)

On a personal note: Started with couple 2950 servers to test (a big no-no but was for testing and they were free) and like it. Walked the same line you are walking now with Asus, Gygabytes, MSIs, non-ECC, etc, and today if I could start over, I'd go with what the guys recommend as Motherboard, ECC, Intel NIC, Dell SAS controller in IT, etc. The problem is that now is too late for me. Got lots of $s on my two servers and they were built to allow storage space for years to come, so no upgrade in the next 5 years - at least.

Good luck and welcome!

joeschmuck

Old Man

Stux

MVP
Would recommend going with a 16GB stick of RAM instead of 2x8GB.

Same price but leaves you open to expand to the maximum of 64GB down the road without chucking out ram.

X11-SSM-F is a great board.

Last edited:

melloa

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
X11-SSM is a great board.
X11SSM-F. Don't want people buying the non-F version by accident, only to be disappointed at the lack of IPMI.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Stux

MVP
X11SSM-F. Don't want people buying the non-F version by accident, only to be disappointed at the lack of IPMI.
Fixed it for posterity

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I will not push my own style upon you, I'm typically an early adopter but you don't need to be.
Motherboard is fine and reliable and quite a few bucks cheaper than the X11SSM-F.
The CPU is not socket compatible with the motherboard. You need an LGA 1150 socket CPU. Take a look at Intel Pentium G3450 (~$80) or i3-4170($120). There is a difference and I personally would go for the i3 but the Pentium should be fine to stream video content using Plex.
The motherboard (MB) can only support up to 8GB RAM modules for a total of 32GB. This is fine for the expected usage. The RAM you have listed is not on the approved RAM list for the motherboard. That doesn't mean it won't work, it just means it wasn't specifically tested and I have seen a few postings mentioning this RAM in NewEgg so it might be fine. Maybe someone here can state if this RAM is fine for this MB.
Nice step up here and I really like this power supply, it has all the right cables and is modular. You could shoot for a 500 watt power supply if it saves you some money but what you have selected will be great. Now I want to go buy a new power supply, too bad I don't need it.
Of course we like these hard drives. How many of these were you looking at getting? How much storage did you desire?
Hum... I can't really speak to this case. I personally wouldn't buy a "U" case unless I had a server rack to mount it into. I'm as bit confused by the photos, looks like it will either hold 3 hard drives or 6 hard drives. Maybe the photos are wrong? If you get this case and the fans become loud, on the 4 pin Molex fan connectors you can move a few wires around to run the fans from 7VDC vice 12VDC which will run them slower. 5VDC may or may not work as sometimes it's too low to start the fan spinning. If you need to make that modification, send me a message (conversation) and I'll explain it to you. The only tool you will need is a toothpick.

EDIT: Here is a link to the cheap cases I was thinking about as an example, but if you find something you like then you should buy it. Maybe it is the U2 rack mount case, a few rubber pads on the bottom would let it sit on it's bottom fine.

diedrichg

Wizard
If you go with this board you will need to change the RAM to DDR4 since that's the only version compatible.

You need to decide on # of drives and RAIDZ. I'd highly suggest 6 drives in RAIDZ2, you'll get the best amount of storage and redundancy.

@Bidule0hm 's ZFS RAID Size Calculator.

ZFS Drive size and cost calculator:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/38092/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.