Newbuild Review Requested- Will it Truenas?

JPillow

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking the boards trying to compile my first new-build with the helpful tips of other users. I think I got it to a point where I’d like to get some realtime input and weed out any last concerns before pulling the trigger. I’m not very technical, and would appreciate any and all advice about my configuration below.

Purpose: Run a lightning node 24x7 (frequent read/write), next cloud, photo/video storage, and run virtual machines. Would run a RaidZ2 configuration with 6 disks.

Build:

Motherboard:
SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SCH-LN4F-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C246 (link)

CPU:
Intel Xeon E-2124 Coffee Lake 3.3 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 71W BX80684E2124 Server Processor (link)

CPU Cooler:
Noctua NH-U9S, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A9 92mm Fan (link)

Boot Drive:
Kingston A400 120GB Internal SSD M.2 2280 SA400M8/120G - (link)

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-550, 550W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode (link)

UPS: EATON 5SC1000 1000 VA 700 watts 8 Outlets UPS (link)

RAM (x1): NEMIX RAM 16GB 2x8GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 2Rx8 ECC Unbuffered Memory (link)

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Black Window Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Cube Computer Case (link)

Storage (x6) : WD Red Plus 2TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s, CMR, 128MB Cache, 3.5 Inch - WD20EFZX (link)

Will it Truenas?

Thanks!

JPillow

Cadet
For anyone else that might be looking to build a new rig, I ultimately ended up getting everything in the list with a few modifications.

4 TB WD Red Plus instead of 2 TB, and seasonic focus px 650 platinum since I found it on sale for similar price to the 550 gold. I also could not get the Kingston a400 boot drive to work because it was not PCIe3.0x4 compatible. I bought a 250 GB Samsung 980 m.2 NVMe SSD and everything clicked! Though no sale, I also upgraded to 2x16GB NEMIX ECC Ram for a bit of future proofing.

One thing to note about the fractal node case was that I had a hard time getting the sata cables and power cables to fit when positioned above the Power Supply. I ended up having to space out the HDDs with gaps in order to flatten the cables a bit. Otherwise everything else was positioned nicely within the case and the cutouts were logical. Nice features to the case overall.

sretalla