Why is there no way of editing the windows permissions of an SMB share in the webGUI?

Why is there no way of editing the windows permissions of an SMB share in the webGUI? You have to boot up a Windows Client and then do it through Windows, it's not the end of the world but it would be nice if I Could configure everything through the webgui. Is this a feature that has simply not been implemented or is there some kind of compelling reason why you should have to do it this way?

melloa

Wizard
Have you tried: Storage -> Click Dataset used on your samba -> click Change Permission icon on the bottom?

Have you tried: Storage -> Click Dataset used on your samba -> click Change Permission icon on the bottom?
This will allow you to change the Unix permissions right? I'm talking about the Windows ACL permissions - ie. what shows up when you right click -> security on a shared folder from a Windows client machine. By default, you then see the Windows ACL translation of the Unix permissions, plus an 'Everyone' share with some read-only permissions. You can then edit these permissions (I typically delete 'Everyone' read permissions) from the client, but I can't find a way to do it from the webgui.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This will allow you to change the Unix permissions right? I'm talking about the Windows ACL permissions - ie. what shows up when you right click -> security on a shared folder from a Windows client machine. By default, you then see the Windows ACL translation of the Unix permissions, plus an 'Everyone' share with some read-only permissions. You can then edit these permissions (I typically delete 'Everyone' read permissions) from the client, but I can't find a way to do it from the webgui.
The UI does not have an ACL editor. To be more specific, the feature is non-trivial to implement and there is a feature request for it.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Last week I fixed the py-bsd ACL module. It required text form (think getfacl output) to set the ACL. It also lacked methods to perform acl_strip_np() and acl_is_trivial_np().

I'll probably finish the middleware part (which relies on the py-bsd fixes) of it this week and merge in to the FreeNAS 11.3 branch. Then it will be up to the UI team to implement, which might take a while, but is in better shape because they'll be working with an API.