What's the use of SMB > 2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jams

Cadet
I've come back to FreeNAS after being away from it for a few years. This is a home NAS on a home network.

I just got my latest setup up and running:
AMD APU 12 core
16GB
16TB RAIDZ3, 10 TB usable.
FreeNAS 9.10-stable

The short story:
Installation and basic config went by-the-book, but I couldn't connect to a CIFS share to save my life across a Windows 10 Surface Pro 2, two Windows 8.1 machines and an Ubuntu 15.10 machine. In CIFS config, I had set CIFS versions to min SMB2 and max SMB3 (whatever the highest version in the dropdown is). I changed this to max SMB2, and all problems connecting to the CIFS share seem to have gone away.

I'm wondering if anyone has insight into why this might be. Part of me wonders what's the use of SMB3, not to mention SMB4, if the latest version of two different OS flavors can't seem to connect to them? Are these newer SMB versions meant for enterprise only? Is there some other likely variable that I probably don't have in the mix that these newer SMB versions suck without (jumbo frames, a domain controller, full-fledged smb.conf on my client machines, etc)?

The longer story:
I only use this for myself, so I setup one share on one dataset. I followed the included guide, setting up a CIFS share via the wizard. I setup one user (myself with my own group), and set that user and group as owner of the share.

With a one time exception on Windows 10, I couldn't connect to the share at all.
After hours of going through the FreeNAS youtube videos, recreating datasets and shares and users, I started going through the manual, page by page, a second time, and I caught an obscure sentence saying something along the lines of "If you have problems connecting to CIFS shares, set Max SMB version to SMB2." I did that, and now everything seems to work perfectly.

On my Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10, I was able to properly connect to the share once - just successfully mapped as network drive. I then had to leave, and when I came back, after bringing the tablet back from sleep, I couldn't access that share any more.
I tried to map it on two other Windows 8 computers (one standard, one pro). It would come up with a prompt for credentials, but I was unable to to login. After a few tries, it would tell me there was a problem with the network path.
I tried to mount it in Ubuntu 15.10 - kept getting "mount error 95 = Operation not supported."

AFAIK, it's not a problem with my network or with mounting CIFS shares, in general. While doing all this, I have a 6TB unRAID box with a CIFS share that is mounted on the same Windows and Ubuntu machines just fine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
not to mention SMB4
There is no SMB4. Don't confuse the Samba version with the protocol version.

Samba's initial support for SMB3 was spotty, but that's to be expected. Over time, it's expected to improve significantly.

That said, SMB3 works fine for me on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. It seems to be a bit of a hit or miss kind of thing.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
There is no SMB4. Don't confuse the Samba version with the protocol version.

Samba's initial support for SMB3 was spotty, but that's to be expected. Over time, it's expected to improve significantly.

That said, SMB3 works fine for me on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. It seems to be a bit of a hit or miss kind of thing.
It works fine for me. SMB2 and later are significantly better and more efficienct.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
mod note: evicted from "Resources", not a resource

Status
Not open for further replies.