SOLVED CIFS share can't be mapped in Windows 8.1 Error: The semaphore timeout period has expired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhek0ff

Cadet
Hello all,

My setup is freshly installed FreeNAS 9.3 on a ASUS motherboard with I5 processor, 8GB DDR3 RAMand 2x1TB WD Red drives.

I have setup a CIFS share and a AFP share on it and everything seems to be fine until I try to access the CIFS share using Windows 8.1 PC from a certain location.

The error message I get when I try to do so is: "The semaphore timeout period has expired"

The funny thing is that I can access the share from a Windows 7 PC that is at the same location and network as the Windows 8.1 PC

I know that this Windows 8.1 PC can access the share if it is in different network, say at a friend's house.

I strongly suspect that the ISP (Sky UK) is filtering this traffic somehow but I don't know how they can differentiate win7 from win8.1 traffic, given that they probably use same ports. If I'm at the location where I can't get the share mapped and I use VPN connection to some other place, everything works fine.

The router does not have any filters in place and there are no firewalls active on the PC either. At the FreeNAS site I used DMZ to expose the NAS to the public space.

Is there something else I can try or test that I can perform to pinpoint the problem or should I just use WebDAV shares as they seem to be more universaly accessible?

I only had one more issue with my setup but changed the max protocol to SMB3. That fixed transfer stalling when transfering from Win8.1 PC to the CIFS share.

Zhek0ff

Cadet
Yes, the system is fully patched and wireless drivers updated (no wired Ethernet on this laptop). I already looked at this thread but no luck so far. On Monday I will capture some traffic for analysis. I have found that the same problem occurs at one other place where the ISP is also Sky.

Zhek0ff

Cadet
I don't yet have the capture, but those messages probably have something to do with the problem:

Aug 1 10:03:20 freenas smbd[57117]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsmatchname failed on 02dff362.bb.sky.com
Aug 1 10:03:41 freenas smbd[57119]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsmatchname failed on 02dff362.bb.sky.com
Aug 1 10:04:02 freenas smbd[57135]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsmatchname failed on 02dff362.bb.sky.com
Aug 1 10:04:22 freenas smbd[57136]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsmatchname failed on 02dff362.bb.sky.com
Aug 1 10:04:43 freenas smbd[57138]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsmatchname failed on 02dff362.bb.sky.com

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Correct me if I'm wrong. You've publicly exposed your FreeNAS server by putting it in a DMZ and are trying to access it remotely?

If so, you're doing this entirely the wrong way. Protect your FreeNAS server behind a perimeter firewall and configure VPN access to your LAN. It'd probably be a good idea to perform a fresh install of FreeNAS to clear it from STDs resulting from its wanton public exposure.

Zhek0ff

Cadet
I have changed a couple of CIFS options:
  • unchecked hostnames lookup
  • unchecked local master
I am not sure which one did the trick, but It's been confirmed that it is now connecting fine.
Can someone please explain to me why would any of those options prevent access from certain sites to the FreeNAS server?
It seems that FreeNAS is making DNS checks and if the IP fails to match the domain, no access is granted.

Thank you

Zhek0ff

Cadet
Correct me if I'm wrong. You've publicly exposed your FreeNAS server by putting it in a DMZ and are trying to access it remotely?

If so, you're doing this entirely the wrong way. Protect your FreeNAS server behind a perimeter firewall and configure VPN access to your LAN. It'd probably be a good idea to perform a fresh install of FreeNAS to clear it from STDs resulting from its wanton public exposure.

That is correct, I used DMZ for testing only, just untill I find the problem. Thank you, VPN is the way to go if security is important.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
STDs resulting from its wanton public exposure.
Gives a whole new angle to that "wake up in a bathtub full of ice with no kidneys" myth. Not that it was credible, it's hard enough to have enough ice on hand for a party, much less all you'd need to fill a bathtub.

Status
Not open for further replies.