Cannot Access CIFS Share from Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro_trouble

Dabbler
My Googling skills have failed me so far so I'm hoping someone can provide some insight.

I have my Freenas 9.3 NAS setup and working well, and I have created a CIFS share. I can use the share just fine from my Macs and from my Windows 7 PC. My new Windows 8.1 PC however is a no go. I have tried logging in with and without a Microsoft account, enabling guest access, disabling guest access, setting the SMB min/max to 2/3. I'm entirely out of ideas.

Any tips? I've attached screenshots of the configuration just in case it helps.

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 11.49.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 11.49.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 11.49.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 11.50.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 11.50.16 AM.png

pro_trouble

Dabbler
So that worked! {Expletive Deleted} It only works if I access the server by IP address though. If I try to connect using the hostname (under 'Network') it still does't work. This is a start though. Thanks!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
So that worked! {Expletive Deleted} It only works if I access the server by IP address though. If I try to connect using the hostname (under 'Network') it still does't work. This is a start though. Thanks!
Okay. You have a name resolution problem. Windows clients try to resolve names in the following order:

1) local 'hosts' file
2) DNS
3) peer to peer (NetBIOS name resolution when working with standalone samba server)

Assuming you don't want to do (1) or (2) then you need to figure out why NetBIOS name resolution isn't working. Top three reasons for this are as follows:

1) client firewall blocking network browsing / network browsing not enabled.
2) client and server in different workgroups
3) contention between two or more computers to be master browser.

Troubleshooting NetBIOS name resolution problems is not always easy.

If you stall out, you can always configure DNS for your network. DrKK has a nice intro to DNS video here:

Last edited:
H

Hubris Won't Be Tolerated

You're missing aio_pthread and streams_xattr under selected VFS Objects

H

Hubris Won't Be Tolerated

Necromancy with the first post. :D

Those VFS Objects don't affect name resolution.
My bad, I was responding to the original post and just realized the gentleman said he got that issue fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.