How do I give windows 8.1 full access to my CIFS share...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftyClown

Patron
So my question in full is...

How do I give windows 8.1 full access to my CIFS share, when files within that share have specific user permissions?

I'm running the Mylar comic book plugin as media:media (UID 816) and when it post processes new comic books, it assigns permissions for the user 'media'

Unfortunately, I cannot open those comics, in a comic book reader from a windows machine.

A quick fix is applying 777 permissions to the data set, but obviously the problem re-occurs the second a new comic is post processed.

What is preventing Windows from opening those files with the user 'media' and how do I circumvent it?

I tried telling CIFS that the guest user is 'media' but this prevented the CIFS service from staring.

I also looked at adding my windows login as a user, however since I use a Microsoft email address login in Window 8.1, the user name is too long for Freenas to accept as a new user.

I'm quite sure there is a simple solution to this, but I can't see the wood for the trees ;)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What group owns the files? I would either make the user in the jails primary group the same as the user that access the files over smb. Or you can create a group in FreeNAS that has the same gid as the group of the files then add that group to the user that access the files over smb. With these solutions the permissions on the files need to be at minimum 755, which is usually a good default.

CraftyClown

Patron
Ok, so I think I've cracked it

I added a new User 'Richard' selected the group 'media'

ticked the box 'microsoft account'

added 'wheel' to the Auxilary groups

added my windows 8.1 user login under email

and left the permissions as default

EDIT:
Sorry just saw your response after I posted SweetAndLow

CraftyClown

Patron
What group owns the files? I would either make the user in the jails primary group the same as the user that access the files over smb. Or you can create a group in FreeNAS that has the same gid as the group of the files then add that group to the user that access the files over smb. With these solutions the permissions on the files need to be at minimum 755, which is usually a good default.

Do you think some of my solution was overkill then?

EDIT:

I forgot to add, I changed the permissions of my dataset to 'Richard' and 'Media' as well

EDIT2:

I needed to allow the group 'media' write permissions under my new user 'Richard' as well as in the datatset, before the plugin Mylar was able to write new files again.

Have I massively overcomplicated my solution here? It works, but I wonder whether it has a number of unnecessary steps within it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.