Very (!very!) long share access times with Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.G.

Explorer
I'm not exactly new to FreeNAS, but this seemed to be the place to put a very unstructured question.

I'm having very odd problems with Windows shares. I updated to 9.10 and now Windows 7 machines work fine on shares, but my Windows 8.1 box will find the CIFS share, but may take 5 to 10 MINUTES or more to process each request to the share. I originally thought that the share was not working at all, but I accidentally left one unattended and it eventually showed an update on the explorer menu.

I use a backup utility on my Windows machines to automate backing them up to the NAS. The problem surfaced as the backup utility complaining that it could not access the backup disk.

I ran into these issues after I changed to 9.10 a few days ago. I was using 9.3, and set the train pointer to 9.10 in the gui, and let it go cook the update. No problems on the update. I have no idea whether this is a 9.10 issue or not. There is no indication of issues inside the NAS box, but I've scrubbed my way through network and permissions setups anyway.

I can only guess at some issue with the new version of samba, or new level of FreeBSD, or, well, help me out here folks... :)

My FreeNAS box has been very reliable. I regularly get several months of completely unattended quiet operation, just doing its job. The last uninterrupted run was about five months. The system is a Supermicro motherboard, Xeon cpu, 16Gb of ECC ram, seven 3Tb disks in RAIDZ3. I had to replace one disk in the array about a year ago - scrub detected a disk error and off lined it. I put in a new disk and the system then resilvered and all was well for more months of 24/7. There is nothing I can find that indicates a hardware issue.

So where do I go dig? Samba? FreeNAS 9.10? FreeBSD 10? Something else?

R.G.

Explorer
OK. Went to /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf and changed the first line:
server max protocol = SMB2
to read
server max protocol = SMB3_00
and rebooted the sharing client - that is, the windows box.
No joy.

Then I realized "Well, duuh. He meant either the samba client or the FreeNAS box." Rebooted FreeNAS, now works.

Many thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.