Confusing permission changes on upgrading to 9.2.1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
When I set up FreeNAS, on something like 9.2.1.5, I set up some datasets for use as AFP shares, and set their permissions to 'Windows/Mac' as suggested. I *think* the separate datasets I set up for CIFS shares were set up as 'Windows/Mac' too. I have since made the CIFS share datasets into one with guest access and one only to be accessed with a single user. No domain controllers in use. I set up the AFP datasets as AFP shares with the time machine box ticked. Neither type had recursive permissions checked.

After upgrading to 9.2.1.8, the CIFS datasets have *UNIX* permissions, and the Mac datasets have *Windows* permissions according their properties in the GUI. I presume the change is something to do with the decision not to use Windows ACLs on AFP shares, but what actually happened does not seem like desirable behaviour to me. However, it does not seem to have affected the function and accessibility of the shares. Fortunately my use is very simple, and each share has only had one user (except for the guest share which has had several users accessing it).

I have since converted the CIFs shares to Windows permissions and the AFP shares to UNIX permissions in the dialogue associated with the datasets in 'Storage' in the GUI, and that doesn't seem to have broken anything either.

My questions really are, is this supposed to happen, and should I be worried?

D

dlavigne

Definitely weird that it happened But if everything is working for you there's not much to worry about.

rogerh

Guru
Ok, thanks, I'll carry on 'til something breaks!

Status
Not open for further replies.