Help with mixed OS setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Hi;

i have been playing with a FreeNAS setup for a while now and have had it set up and have been able to access shares from a Windows PC and a Jailbroken AppleTV2 with XBMC installed. I did at one point manage also to access read and write from my Mac but it has been troublesome and just lately changed to read only and now after playing again i cannot access from my Mac or Windows.

I am still very confused with regards to users and groups and permissions and shares and need some help / direction / guide? I did manage to successfuly setup a Windows CIFS and an AFP share but probably more luck than judgement. And I am confused as hell on which user / group to assign for shares / volumes.

I am currently using FreeNAS 8.3.0 Beta 2 and have setup a ZFS Volume called "/mnt/Test" which has three further sub volumes called "/mnt/Test/jail", "/mnt/Test/software" and "/mnt/Test/TimeMachineOld". I have also setup a user called "guest" and a user called "MrX".
I have successfuly at one point setup an AFP share and a CIFS share but never managed a working UNIX share.

I will be the only user and I may want at a later date access over the Internet. I want to use my NAS as a media server via my AppleTV, possibly as an iTunes Server (Maybe not now I have XBMC working, but would be nice to access songs from the NAS using iTunes on my Mac? I would also like to use my NAS as a Time Machine Backup, and as a general storage area for all my data.

1. Please help with the above and any advice on what I need to do.
2. What / how many users do I need to setup?
3. How do I delete the sub volume "TimeMachineOld".

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.