Unable to create folders after upgrading to 9.2.1.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DataJunkie

Cadet
I've been running FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 for about five months and just recently upgraded to 9.2.1.6. Now I'm finding that I can view folders, copy and modify files within folders, but I can't create new folders. Whenever I try to do this, I get the message "Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this.".

I've searched the forums and the only thing I found relevant was that 9.2.1.6 now does permissions "correctly", but I'm a Unix noob so I have no idea what is correct.

Here's my server setup, we use it for sharing photos and music with five family members at home:
  • Shuttle case with i5, 8GB ram, 2x 1.5TB Seagate and FreeNAS on 16GB USB
  • One ZFS volume named "storage", lz4 compression, Enable a time set to Inherit, Quota is 0. Reserve is 0 ZFS dedup set to Inherit.
  • Several ZFS datasets all have same behaviour. Compression set to Inhert, Share type Windows (I just found this, I was expecting Unix), Enable a time is Inherit and ZFS Duplication set to Inhert.
  • Permissions have been opened up. Everyone at home is part of a group named Family. As I was trying to fix this. Now Volume set to Owner user: root and Owner group: Family. Mode is 770. Permission Type: Unix. ZFS datasets have same permission settings except Permission Type set to Windows / Mac ACL (now I'm not sure if this should be Unix as well)
  • Shares are Apple AFP Shares. Allow list has been set to @Family. AFP3 Unix Privs is checked, Default file permissions are 770. And default directory permissions are 770. Default umask is 000.
I'm connecting to the server with a Mac running latest OSX 10.9.4 through Linksys router. Same behaviour both wireless and wired (wasn't expecting a diff, just throwing it out there).

I'm sure there are all sorts of issues with my permissions right now and would like to hear them, but let's keep this thread focused on the unable to create folders issue for now. Feel free to PM me if you really want to tell me how bad my setup is. :)

Also tried CHMOD, but getting error that I don't have permissions. This is running through web console with su. I found another thread here saying that this is new with 9.2.1.6 as well and intentional.

One other strange behaviour, if I see a ZIP file on my NAS and double click on it. It will uncompress the file and create the folder without errors. I can delete the folder. But if I try to create folder manually I get the same error.

My best guess is that there are different permissions for folders and I've somehow messed that up.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated. Otherwise my next step will be to try and downgrade back to 9.2.1.5.

Thanks!

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
Its not related to OSX version. I have just tried with a machine running 10.6.8 still folder permission issue

n0thin

Cadet
I have this problem with FreeNAS 9.2.1.7, freesh install. Client Mac OS X 10.8.4. I disable de AFP3 Unix Privs, and now I can create directories. I think is a bug, but I don't find to much. Regards

Gessi

Dabbler
This still doesn't seem to have been fixed in my current stable release "FreeNAS-9.10.1 (d989edd)" as I have to disable "Afp3 Unix Priviledges"!?

Status
Not open for further replies.