SOLVED Cannot open CIFS share from windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varroa

Dabbler
I was having this issue as well. If I recall correctly, I think unchecking the 'apply default permissions" option in the CIFS share settings did the trick for me. I can't be certain this will work for you, but maybe it's worth a shot?

Tried unchecking the default permissions with no luck. Also made sure the TCP/IP netbios lookup is enabled (it was) and no luck either.

NickB

Dabbler
As for the account, if you create an account in FreeNAS that matches the account used to log in to Windows (name and password), it'll just let you in. That might not solve your problem, but make it easier later.

As for the guest part of my question earlier, the permissions on your share allowed guests to view, so allowing guests access will let you connect without having to provide any credentials.

On the FreeNAS account, for your user account, is the "disable password login" box checked? If so, that will need to be unchecked - see this page http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_account.html.

In Services, does the CIFS service show that's it on?

Can you check to see if 1) your workstation is connecting ok and 2) your FreeNAS is supporting CIFS? In each command, there's a pipe command, which is usually found just above the Enter key.

1) Open a command prompt (start / cmd)
Type in the below command and let it run. Then try and connect to the share again. If you see SYN_SENT, either the service isn't running on FreeNAS or there's a firewall on your workstation, between you and FreeNAS, or on FreeNAS. If you see ESTABLISHED, then things should be good.

netstat -an -t 1 | findstr 192.168.1.45:445

Replace the above IP with your server IP, but from what I remember, it was 1.45.

2) From FreeNAS, open a shell (bottom left if you're on the latest version). Type in the below command. You should see a line that has "tcp4 --- *.445 --- LISTEN". If not, your CIFS service isn't running. You should also see the connection from your workstation IP.

netstat -an | grep 445

Varroa

Dabbler
On the FreeNAS account, for your user account, is the "disable password login" box checked? If so, that will need to be unchecked - see this page http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_account.html.

In Services, does the CIFS service show that's it on?

Can you check to see if 1) your workstation is connecting ok and 2) your FreeNAS is supporting CIFS? In each command, there's a pipe command, which is usually found just above the Enter key.

1) Open a command prompt (start / cmd)
Type in the below command and let it run. Then try and connect to the share again. If you see SYN_SENT, either the service isn't running on FreeNAS or there's a firewall on your workstation, between you and FreeNAS, or on FreeNAS. If you see ESTABLISHED, then things should be good.

netstat -an -t 1 | findstr 192.168.1.45:445

Replace the above IP with your server IP, but from what I remember, it was 1.45.

2) From FreeNAS, open a shell (bottom left if you're on the latest version). Type in the below command. You should see a line that has "tcp4 --- *.445 --- LISTEN". If not, your CIFS service isn't running. You should also see the connection from your workstation IP.

netstat -an | grep 445

Sorry, was AFK for a few days. A linux guru friend of mine went over my settings and he can't find anything wrong with my settings (he even installed freenas at his house using identical settings and he can connect to his no problem). The only strange thing is I can no longer see the FreeNAS server on my network (even after a reboot). (but I can still ping it AND connect to it via the web gui)

CIFS is turned on for sure and disable password login is not checked.

1) ***CORRECTION**** I DO see ESTABLISHED
2) I DO see LISTEN so the FreeNAS server is configured correctly.

I am going to have to do some network diagnostics to see why I cannot see it on my network (but I can still ping it AND connect to it via the web gui). I just went through my linux router (Mikrotik) and there are no firewall rules that are blocking port 445 at all (443 is blocked but that is as close as it gets).

Last edited:

Varroa

Dabbler
Ok, I just nuked my users, shares, volumes, etc. Going to reboot and start from scratch.

Varroa

Dabbler
Same thing after nuking everything and making a new data set (with a new name), new users/groups and going through and making sure everything was set the same. I get an ESTABLISHED connection from windows PC and I get LISTENING from the FressNAS server. I am completely lost as to WHY everything can see each other but nothing can complete the handshake.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Please excuse the obvious question, but have you tried disabling all security software and firewalls on the PCs?

Is your existing Windows server still on the same network? If so, have you tried shutting it down?

I find it hard to believe at this stage that the problem lies at the FreeNAS end.

Varroa

Dabbler
Please excuse the obvious question, but have you tried disabling all security software and firewalls on the PCs?

Is your existing Windows server still on the same network? If so, have you tried shutting it down?

I find it hard to believe at this stage that the problem lies at the FreeNAS end.

I only have the built in windows firewall running and I even put a exception to the FreeNAS ip in the firewall. I have tried connecting on mutiple different computers each with different antivirus and non of them can connect (I will try disabling some of them next). I can try turning off my WHS and see if that helps.

Last edited:

Varroa

Dabbler
I am dismantling the FreeNAS server and sending it to my friends house who recently tested a FreeNAS on his network (and it worked fine) so he can do some diagnostics (he is better with linux/BSD then I am).

In the meantime I am going to put some other hardware together and try and completely different hardware configuration and put it in a different area of the house so I can rule out hardware incompatibility/switch issues.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
One more thing - have you eliminated any chance of a name clash on your network? I had to troubleshoot a HomeGroup sharing issue for a client that turned out to be a name clash and the error message was utterly obscure. Just an idea...

Varroa

Dabbler
Yep, no name clashing and everybody is on the same workgroup (all PCs in my house start with the name of the owner except for three that are labelled as per there use (gameserver, WHS, HTPC, etc).

Varroa

Dabbler
Ok, my friend just hooked up the NAS to his network and he was able to connect, read and write to it without any troubles from a MAC and his Windows 7 rig using my user name and he can also read from it using a guest account (so at least I know it is all configured correctly). So now I need to figure out why I cannot connect to it on my network at my house.

Last edited:

Varroa

Dabbler
Tried a bunch of different network things and could still not see the FreeNAS so I set up a new mini lan using an old Linksys DD-wrt router and I was able to connect without any troubles. SO, it is my mikrotik router causing the problems. At least I know what the problem is, now I have to figure out the solution. Off to the mikrotik forums....... Thanks for the help guys.

Varroa

Dabbler
SOLVED! I just had to move one of my rules in the router further down the list and that has fixed my problem!!!!!

Last edited:

Varroa

Dabbler
Now I can actually test this out and see if I should build one and use it for me network. One thing for sure, I learn a lot about FreeNAS in the process. Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.