Windows CIFS Share Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phe0nix

Explorer
Just installed version 9.3 and have created my volume,dataset and windows CIFS share to begin uploading
content to the NAS. In Winows 7 when i goto "Computer" i see my "FreeNAS" listed under the network and i can click on it and it shows a directory named "Media" which is what i named my Windows CIFS share yet when i try to drag media into the folder i get a permission error from windows.

Volume named Plex
Dataset named Media
CIFS named Media
User - followed video tutorial and didn't add a User

I had read that I needed to create a user and that it needed to match the username and password of my windows machine so i added a password to my windows machine and renamed my windows machines "computer name" and ever since i can't even see the nas listed under Network when i open "computer" from the start menu. Prior to making the change to the windows "computer name" i could see the nas but couldn't copy file to it due to permissions and now i can't even see it. Since then i have changed the "computer name" back to what it used to be and still can't see the NAS

Followed this guide and still noting probably due to changing my computer name and then changing it back ?

thanks

Last edited:

chris pucknell

Explorer
I'm havin the same kind of trouble :/

For me, I seem to be able to move files and folders around most of the time, but it won't let me rename certain media files, apparently at random.

Followed this guide to experiment but it didn't work out.

http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_sharing.html#windows-cifs-shares

apparently I need permission from the group/user nobody. Where can I find this nobody?

It kinda sounds like I need to set permission to modify? But I don't see anything like that in the GUI.

ALSO I have been using "mv -f /sourcedir/* /destinationdir/" in the shell to move things, as it is much quicker server side. But it's unclear what goes on. It throws up errors in the shell, saying operation not permitted, but then the files get moved anyway, or sometimes they don't. I'm a bit in the dark there.

Phe0nix

Explorer
I went to properties on "Computer" and selected the "Change Settings" link and selected the "Network ID" button and there are two options for network ID. The default setting was a business network and selected the Home network radio button and then FreeNAS was back in my network .
apparently I need permission from the group/user nobody. Where can I find this nobody?
If you goto Volume and expand your data set and select "Change Permissions" nobody can be found under the drop down for "Owner ( User ) " and Owner ( Group )

I have my issue fixed finally. I was trying to create a authenticated users login from this document and it requires the user to use the same username and password as the windows machine attempting to connect to
freenas and it wasn't working until i removed the password from my windows 7 machine and rebooted then freenas showed up again as a network source and required the U/P from windows and the password had been removed already but it was accepted and i could login and i also used Unix as the permission type instead of windows as it was the only way i could get into the NAS.
Then i couldn't enable the plex server even though i had the source and destination set for plex. I had to download Plex again and set the source and destination for that one and i was able to enable the 2nd one
and deleted the first and now I can begin using the NAS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.