'An Error Occurred' Changing Volume permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cra1g321

Dabbler
*** [SOLVED] ***

I currently have a HP Microserver running FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)
with 4x 2TB drives in RAIDZ-1.

I access the volume (/mnt/volume1) from Windows (CIFS) and Linux (NFS)

I use a user account called 'user' for CIFS and a user account called 'cra1g321' for the NFS share. (both accounts are in the wheel group)

The shares permissions are setup so that when I'm connecting through NFS as cra1g321, i can read and write data, and when I connect through CIFS as user, i can only read the data.

I recently copied over a couple of Albums over the volume (/mnt/volume1/Music) when connected through NFS on my Linux OS, but when I get a permission error when i try to access the albums from Windows through CIFS.

This issue only seems to occur randomly, sometimes i copy music over and i access it fine then times, i cant. (may have something to do with me changing Linux distros now and again).

I tried to change the permissions for all the folders in the volume, under the Volume section of the webGUI, just by ticking the box beside 'Set permissions recursively' but when i do, i get a error saying 'An error Occurred' after a couple of minutes.
Here is a screenshot of the current permissions for the volume -

i read on another thread, that this may be a bug with 8.2 due to having lots of data on the volume, i have around 2.6TB of data in the volume. Also that 8.3 beta fixes this issue.

Is there anyway of fixing this or setting the permissions without upgrading to a beta ?

rst6616

Cadet
Hi William,
I have just set up my first freenas 8.2 db. I am using Windows7 CICS to access my data (mnt/RonsVol/RonsDataset). The "Change Permissions" options I really don't understand.

Specifically 1) Owner (group): Wheel What is this used for and under what circumstances should I change it?
2) Type of ACL: Unix or Windows If my data being stored on my freenas db is copied from Windows7 using a CICS share, what should I set this to? Should I ever use Unix?
3) Set Permission recursively When should I check this and why?

Hope you have a few minutes to help me and maybe a few other newbies,
Ron

Stephens

Patron
The best help to noobies is to tell them to read the documentation as that's what it's there for. Then if folks are still confused, they can come back with specific questions addressing the perceived ambiguity and/or confusion. Your questions are answered there.

Status
Not open for further replies.