Can not get access to volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

migsutu

Dabbler
I have attempted setting up FreeNAS using both 8.02 and the latest 8.2 nightly build with the same results.

I add my user account. Create my volume. Set permissions on the volume. I setup afp/cifs/nfs and the gui says everything is ready and ok. However from my mac, it says unable to mount volume after I enter the username and password from freenas. Windows gave a similar error with CIFS, about not being able to load the volume.

NFS under fedora does the following: Under dolphin I can nfs://192.168.3.241. Then is immediately shows me mnt/volume1 as a folder. I double click the folder, and at the bottom left it says "The file or folder /mnt/volume1 does not exist." The bottom right just goes back and forth saying loading folder. I have not been able to access the folder/volume at all from any method.

How can I access some sort of logs so I can see what is happening? Any thoughts on what would be causing this. I reinstalled multiple times now and followed the tutorial videos exactly, so not sure what is really going wrong. I have had no issues accessing the gui.

migsutu

Dabbler
Additional steps for troubleshooting. I was worried that something hardware related was messing with it, so I grabbed another machine I have been testing Nexenta with. I put on the 8.2 nightly build, everything installed fine. Created an account, created a zfs volume, changed permissions(I put my user in group wheel, and gave wheel r/w), enable afp giving it the name appleshare and the path to /mnt/backup. Flip the afp switch.

I do command-k, type in the IP. It asks for my username and password. The message i get is:

Connection failed
There was an error connecting to the server. Check the server name or IP address and try again.

If you are unable to resolve the problem contact your system administrator.

I click ok.

Then get:
Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred. (error code - 5002)

I am running OS X 10.5.8 on a powermac g5. I have looked the error up and it seems to point to a version of afp being off or wrong possibly. Not sure.

Since this happens with NFS/AFP/CIFS I am assuming it must be something relating to my user account and permissions. However that seems to be extremely straight forward and simple, I don't know what I could be missing.

I am getting frustrated, however this means that I am most likely missing a very simple but critical step in setting up Freenas. What I would love to find is a step by step guide to installing and sharing something tailored to version 8.x. I have followed the videos and found numerous 7.x guides, but nothing going step by step in detail(other than the videos). I am open to suggestions and appreciate any help or thoughts.

migsutu

Dabbler
I have moved on to CIFS and it is actually working from my mac. I haven't tested it from a Windows machines yet.

I have gotten it to work on both machines now as well. I had to change the owner of volume to my user name. Being part of group wheel would not allow it to mount.

Still no luck afp, I will work some more on CIFS and then perhaps try NFS.

migsutu

Dabbler
I have CIFS working well now. However I still can not get AFP to work at all. Using AFP from OS X 10.5.8, after asking for the credentials, I get the message "There was an error connecting to the server. Check the server name or ip address and try again." Any thoughts?

hotalot

Dabbler
I have attempted setting up FreeNAS using both 8.02 and the latest 8.2 nightly build with the same results.

I add my user account. Create my volume. Set permissions on the volume. I setup afp/cifs/nfs and the gui says everything is ready and ok. However from my mac, it says unable to mount volume after I enter the username and password from freenas. Windows gave a similar error with CIFS, about not being able to load the volume.

NFS under fedora does the following: Under dolphin I can nfs://192.168.3.241. Then is immediately shows me mnt/volume1 as a folder. I double click the folder, and at the bottom left it says "The file or folder /mnt/volume1 does not exist." The bottom right just goes back and forth saying loading folder. I have not been able to access the folder/volume at all from any method.

How can I access some sort of logs so I can see what is happening? Any thoughts on what would be causing this. I reinstalled multiple times now and followed the tutorial videos exactly, so not sure what is really going wrong. I have had no issues accessing the gui.

I had the same problem as you. The solution I found was to make a directory/folder to mount the NAS volume. In my case I called the ZFS volume data. I use LinuxMint 12 which is an Ubuntu version. The steps I took were:

1. - Open a terminal and type "sudo mkdir data /media/data".
2. - Mount the volume, type "mount -t nfs 192.168.56.101:/mnt/data /media/data (replace the IP number with your network number)

That should be it, the directory/folder data appears on your file manager.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.