(Noob question) Multiple groups on one share - How to set up basic permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandora

Dabbler
Hello!

I just installed FreeNAS and now I'm setting up the permissions. It's extremly embarrassing, but after 2 hours of trying and googling I just can not figure out how to give access the way I want, as basic as it probably is.

I created a new volume, inside a dataset and a CIFS share which points to it. Using Windows, I can see this share without issues via \\192.168.1.5.

Then I created several users and did put them in several newly created groups in FreeNAS.

But how do I now give those groups permissions to this share?
In windows I would just right click -> sharing and there I would add all the groups I created before and give them the appropriate permissions. But how can this be done in FreeNAS (as there's a reason why I'm not using Windows ;))? How can I add multiple groups to a share with varying permissions?

The idea is basically to give User A & B write permission, and user C & D read only on the same share. (Guests/Anonymous may not be allowed to do anything)

I'm a total noob to FreeNAS, as you can see :D

D

dlavigne

But how do I now give those groups permissions to this share?
In windows I would just right click -> sharing and there I would add all the groups I created before and give them the appropriate permissions.

And thats where you do it. Before doing so, make sure that the dataset "Share Type" is Windows and the "Permissions Type" on the dataset is Windows.

DVitoD

Explorer
And thats where you do it. Before doing so, make sure that the dataset "Share Type" is Windows and the "Permissions Type" on the dataset is Windows.

Nice to see you here, Dru: have been reading quite some BSD-stuff from you over the last 10 years:D

Could I bump in to ask a related question, because for me too this is all a little bit confusing. It seems you need to set access rights on 5 different places to have it work in the LAN (the pool itself, the dataset, the jail (from within FreeNAS, not talking about inside the jail), the share from within FreeNAS, and the share from within Windows).

Now yesterday, after probably 10 times deleting plugin and reinstalling, I finally got Transmission to work. I followed your tutorial on on Youtube, and 147 open tabs in Firefox with approximately 150 different tutorials (both inside- and outside this forum), on how to set it up (stuff about permissions set to nouser/nogroup, and syncing UID/GUID between FreeNAS and the jail I did not do).

However, the rights on the share, per the Youtube video, give 'everyone' full control. That's not what I want; I want a dedicated user (DVitoD) only to have access to that share. So, I am currently boxing with:
  1. I have the user DVitoD in my Windows7 box, so I take it if I make a group HomeUsers and a user DVitoD in FreeNAS then he will be able to log in. But: Question 1: on what level (of the 5 mentioned) do I need to set the permissions for DVitoD?
  2. Yet, Transmission needs to write to the share too of course; I don't see any user Transmission in FreeNAS at all, so if I remove 'everybody' from the share, how do I manage Transmission to have access?
  3. I just wrote a compliment-post on the manual, yet, unfortunately, the difference between Windows/Unix share and Windows/Unix-permissions is not clear, and hence confusing to me. Suppose I have a mixed LAN (which I actually do have):
    1. The manual says to make a dataset a Windows type if Windows computers are going to access it, a Unix type if xNix 'puters are going to access it, etc.
    2. But I have both a Debian box that needs to be able to access the documents directory as well as a Windows box:
    3. Question 2: What should the Dataset be?
    4. Question 3: And given .2. does this mean that I next, after knowing .3., need to create two shares? One for Windows users and one for xNix users?

Thank you in advance for your reply :smile:

nikola123

Cadet
Hello!
I am new on this forum but I do not see whole answer on Pandoras question. Where I can give those permissions?
Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.