Noob understaning users, groups & permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru
Having used a ReadyNAS box for the last couple of years, which is now running tight on space (4x2TB RAID5) a friend encouraged to build a FreeNAS box running on a HP Microserver (which he has kindly loaned me) as I'd already bought 4x3TB drives in anticipation of upgrading the ReadyNAS at some point.

The NAS is mainly being used for storing media and backups from a small home Mac network with 3 users and guest access. I want to be able to view everything, and give the other users acccess to the media (read-only) and their own areas for data and backup. I want any guests to also have read-only access to the media.

I'm struggling a little with the concept of users, groups and permissons trying to set-up something which I suspect is very easy.

The ZFS volume looks like:

/mnt/volume
/mnt/volume/me
/mnt/volume/user1
/mnt/volume/user2
/mnt/volume/media
/mnt/volume/me_backup
/mnt/volume/user1_backup
/mnt/volume/user2_backup

I have 3 users:

Me
User1
User2

and 2 groups:

Admin (containing Me)
Users (containing both Users)

I'm struggling with permissions and AFP shares so I can read/write to all volumes and use time machine to backup (to me_backup) whilst giving users the same read/write to their own volume, time machine backup (to user?_backup) and read-only access to media, and then guest read-only access to media.

I suspect I'm just missing something very simple, but having read through the FreeNAS documentation a couple of times I can't seem to get this set-up.

Thanks in advance

*** Update - having just read through the AFP section again, it looks like I can just add multiple users or groups into the shares using a comma! Will have another go with this knowledge tonight...

adrianwi

Guru
A bit more 'playing' last night and after a few hours got this access set-up just as I wanted :)

Now to decided on the structure...

Status
Not open for further replies.