Q. about setting up basic structures

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bohs Hansen

I got a couple questions about how I set up the user and share structure, the webUI isn't so advanced yet, so I'm unclear.

Disk setup - Volume: jcube1 , Path: /mnt/jcube1 , ~6tb (4*2tb)

So, what I try to accomplish is having multiple shares: Media, Software, Upload, Private.
and user groups: family, friends, etc.

So I tried to just make these folders inside the volume path, but I can't seem to figure out how to assign rights etc.

I want to give read rights to all but my private folder to my friends and family, write rights to the upload folder and only give my own user account access to the private folder.

I come from a QNAP system, and there I could just create the shares in the GUI and assign rights to groups and users for each.

Any advice?

B

Bohs Hansen

Is it really this simple? Gotta say I'm new to this whole ZFS system, so might be why I was confused.

What I previously knew as shares is just "ZFS Datasets" now? So if I get this right, I can just create my "Media", "Software" etc by creating a Dataset and name them accordingly each, then assign a group - and that is it. Or did I wander in the wrong direction?

And to that, do I understand it right that if I leave all the quota fields at zero it just takes what space is left on the original raidz?

thanks for bearing over with me, still learning, but getting better :)

whistlepigger

Dabbler
You're on the right track. You still have to share the datasets (using windows or linux shares) - but those shares point to the datasets. If you leave the quota fields at 0, no quota is enforced.

B

Bohs Hansen

Ran into a new problem with this ..

My volume setup: FNAS_Volumes.PNG

Now I figured, I just make a group for each folder and add the people to that group that shall have access to it. So far so good.
But I got another group of people who need different rights for the same path, how can i archive that?

B

Bohs Hansen

I've come to the conclusion that I can't give different rights to different people to the same folder from the webUI ... tried all I could think off ... how do I approach this manually? Kinda only need it for FTP. I don't want FTP user to have write rights except for one folder. But I still want to be able to write to it whenever I logon myself via windows share or ftp

B

Bohs Hansen

After spending some time reading up on various faq's and howto's around the web, i think I finally found my solution .. or better phrased, i found the commands for what i knew had to be there.
Before i start to mess around with things, just wanted to hear if I'm on the right track.

What i want to archive is that only my users have full rights to everything (3 different usr names), but i want to give a bunch of other users only read rights to specific folders (mounts) and on top of that write rights to a upload folder. (default ftp setup, kinda). Using the current GUI i couldn't find a working option for this.

What i think i need to use are the two commands "getfacl" and "setfacl". However all howto's I found on this where UFS, does ZFS limit this or doesn't the filesystem matter? (hope not).

Am I on the right track here?

headconnect

Explorer
I've also tried to set up windows permissions (acls) - though from windows. The first thing that hit me was a message from windows saying that the originating security bit (permissions) are freaky. (ok ok, i'm paraphrasing, but you get the point), and the checkboxes for root, wheel, and everyone were all kinds of screwed up (root was denied read access, wheel had full control but denied certain other obvious things, and everyone was just all over the place). In any event - any ideas on how to get the root permissions set so that windows itself can manage those permissions? I don't care if someone breaks in, rapes my switch with his ethernet cable, and manages to get access to the box from a non-windows machine which might be ignoring these permissions.. I just think it would be interesting to be able to actually set permissions in windows, for windows, on a single share (makes eeeeverything easier)

Status
Not open for further replies.