Permissions Problems with my SMB share

jkomodo

Cadet
Hi, I set up an HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 7 last year as a FreeNAS box for my personal use. It is currently running FreeNAS-11.3-U1.

I'm not a hugely demanding user and so set it up to share it's 4 HDD ZFS pool to Windows 10, and set up a user (jkomodo) that I could log in via SMB with.

I also set up the Plex plugin, with its jail accessing one of the folders in the root of the drive.

Since then I've had various issues with permissions when using the share from Windows 10, occasionally not having the right permissions to do what I need do.

There was a power loss on the server a couple of days ago: I don't know if this had an effect but mention it in case it has.

Now I can copy files to the drive, and edit things that I've just copied over there, but everything that was already there is saying I need permissions from Unix User\1000 to do anything. After trying to do some independent research it appears you're not meant to share a root dataset, and should instead share a sub dataset. This would then let me edit the ACL which should then mean I'm in control of everything (though I'm unclear as to whether Plex could then be redirected to operate from the subfolder that's created.

However, I can't move all of the existing data into a new sub dataset as I don't have the permission to move it, or delete it after copying it.

I don't understand what has changed, unless it believes I have the right to edit data until a reboot, which would explain why nearly everything was working before and I can access almost nothing now, as 90% of the data has been put on there in the last 8 months when it hasn't been rebooted. However I haven't been actively changing things on the drive for a while as it was just being used for Plex playback, and I only noticed the odd behaviour today when doing some manual backups and trying to tidy my folder structure.

Any advice would be helpful. While I did set it up to require a login for the SMB share (for basic security so that not everyone who visits could access the network drive) I am more concerned with usability than security in it's current operation.

Thanks in advance.