CIFS and NFS Permissions and Datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

imgroovy

Cadet
Here are my specs:

AsRock 2550d4i; 16gb ECC RAM; 4x4tb Seagate NAS Drives; 1 SanDisk USB Drive (FreeNAS OS installed).

Here is my goal:

Home Server Would like to load movies, music, data files...Perhaps use as Time Machine for a MacBook and iMac and backup two Windows Computers.

Here's my status:

I've setup the drives as a Mirror (I don't have a backup plan, but to copy data off to external drives for now).

Question 1: If I lose a drive(s) I won't lose data with a Mirror setup Correct? Am I losing performance because I didn't set up the drives as a ZFS2? I'm not comfortable losing data anywhere in my current configuration.

So far all I've setup are a CIFS dataset and an AFP dataset. I set up a NFS dataset as well but had trouble connecting with my iMac. So I deleted it.

Problem 1: I've set myself up as a user, my wife, and a root as users. I tried to create a folder with my CIFS share with my user address and as root and said I didn't have permissions. Did I miss something?

Question 2: Would it be to my advantage to put my media files on a NFS share instead of CIFS? I would like to maybe use the media for Plex or AppleTv or something in the future.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Edit 1: Ok if I'm understanding this correctly. I don't even need datasets. So if I remove the datasets, I shouldn't have permission issues. If that is the case, then I'm not grasping what the benefit of having a dataset.

Edit 2: I must have angered the FreeNAS Forum Gods with this post.

Last edited:

DaveF81

Explorer
Have a read of the documentation on this subject at: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_...henticated-access-without-a-domain-controller

Typically it boils down to this:
  • Create a user group and add your users to it
  • Create a new data set and set the share type as 'Windows'
  • Change the permissions of the new data set and set the previously created user group as the owner and set the permission type to 'Windows'
  • Create a new CIFS share
This should then give you basic read/write access to the data set via CIFS.

Same goes for NFS, however permissions do not work the same. You can mapall or maproot to a specific user or rely on UIDs to ensure a user has the correct permissions. This usually works best with NIS or LDAP authentication.

DaveF81

Explorer
lol didnt anger anyone, most of us work 8-4/9-5 sooooo finding time to reply at work isnt always possible, butttt i will help where i can with your questions :D
Question 1: If I lose a drive(s) I won't lose data with a Mirror setup Correct? Am I losing performance because I didn't set up the drives as a ZFS2?
Are you setting your drives up as RAIDz2 (4 drive minimum for RAIDz2), this yields 6.298Tb usable space (80% + overhead).
I'm not comfortable losing data anywhere in my current configuration.
If you dont wanna loose data, get backups of backups and stuff, use the cloud, i use crashplan pro, 10$ a month for UNLIMITED backup.
So far all I've setup are a CIFS dataset and an AFP dataset. I set up a NFS dataset as well but had trouble connecting with my iMac. So I deleted it.
Setup CIFS, Windows and Mac can read CIFS, when using Mac and you wish to connect to FreeNAS use the connect to server option and do CIFS://<IP ADDRESS> or just browse to FreeNAS. Enable AFP if youre going to use FreeNAS for TimeMachine.
Question 2: Would it be to my advantage to put my media files on a NFS share instead of CIFS? I would like to maybe use the media for Plex or AppleTv or something in the future.
I wouldnt bother with NFS as my explanation above covers it i feel, As far as for media, see below.
As for explanation of vdev,pool,and datasets, see here please https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

As far as media and media streaming, i like Plex....ALOT, i use the Plex plugin and it works wonders, although you DO need to configure the jail and give it the storage where the media is stored, which is easy enough and i will happily assist, but there is no app for the apple TV....youd need to use itunes configured to home share (i think thats what its called....) for media on FreeNAS + apple TV.

imgroovy

Cadet
lol didnt anger anyone, most of us work 8-4/9-5 sooooo finding time to reply at work isnt always possible, butttt i will help where i can with your questions :D

Are you setting your drives up as RAIDz2 (4 drive minimum for RAIDz2), this yields 6.298Tb usable space (80% + overhead).

If you dont wanna loose data, get backups of backups and stuff, use the cloud, i use crashplan pro, 10$ a month for UNLIMITED backup.

Setup CIFS, Windows and Mac can read CIFS, when using Mac and you wish to connect to FreeNAS use the connect to server option and do CIFS://<IP ADDRESS> or just browse to FreeNAS. Enable AFP if youre going to use FreeNAS for TimeMachine.

I wouldnt bother with NFS as my explanation above covers it i feel, As far as for media, see below.
As for explanation of vdev,pool,and datasets, see here please https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

As far as media and media streaming, i like Plex....ALOT, i use the Plex plugin and it works wonders, although you DO need to configure the jail and give it the storage where the media is stored, which is easy enough and i will happily assist, but there is no app for the apple TV....youd need to use itunes configured to home share (i think thats what its called....) for media on FreeNAS + apple TV.

Thank You SO MUCH!!! I apologize for multiple postings (Lesson Learned) I just wanted to make sure I wasn't in violation of any forum rules or protocol. Thanks Again. Ill give all your suggestions a try.

imgroovy

Cadet
Have a read of the documentation on this subject at: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_...henticated-access-without-a-domain-controller

Typically it boils down to this:
  • Create a user group and add your users to it
  • Create a new data set and set the share type as 'Windows'
  • Change the permissions of the new data set and set the previously created user group as the owner and set the permission type to 'Windows'
  • Create a new CIFS share
This should then give you basic read/write access to the data set via CIFS.

Same goes for NFS, however permissions do not work the same. You can mapall or maproot to a specific user or rely on UIDs to ensure a user has the correct permissions. This usually works best with NIS or LDAP authentication.

Thank you so much again. I really appreciate everyone's assistance. Ill attempt these suggestions when I can get a chance as well. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.