What rack and rack equipment?

onlineforums

Explorer
My FreeNAS Mini XL failed after a few years and I figure going rack mount TrueNAS server is the way to go as I upgrade my entire home network infrastructure. I have acquired a Dell R730XD and have TrueNAS Core running well; right now it is just hanging out on a table in my "network room" closet.

I can fit a rack in the "network room" but it seems like even though the sizes (width, depth, etc) are standard there are dozens of companies that manufacturer racks themselves as well as hundreds of companies that sell rack related equipment. I want to stick with solid name brand equipment that is interoperable.

I will be needing the following:
  • 2U -- Dell R730XD running TrueNAS Core
  • 1U -- 24 patch panel (keystone, what brand....does it matter?)
  • 1U -- 24 port POE managed switch (I'll research based upon my needs for POE, VLAN, etc)
  • 4U -- Shelf to hold misc non-rack items such as modem and router
  • ?? -- Uninterruptible power supply
  • Sound level as low as possible. In other words, probably fully enclosed with some ventilation fans or how does one handle the Dell server noise in a residential application where the server is located close to a bedroom?
So I guess I'll need a 10 to 14U rack assuming UPS is 2U to 4U.

What else am I missing? Cable management? 1U cover plates to make it look pretty?

Do you have any specific recommendations for a 10U to 14U wall mount rack itself? Any particular patch panel? I realize the other items like switch and UPS are total preference based upon need but I think the rack and patch panels themselves are fairly generic with a wide range of quality differences. I'm happy to pay for quality and absolutely want to avoid cheaply made/materials.

Any help is appreciated and if any resellers besides the normal Amazon, Newegg, B&H, etc.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Wall mount? No way. Even without a UPS it's a lot of weight; with one you could easily top 200 lb. And a R730 is a deep chassis, so that would be a lot of torque. This is going to have to be floor-standing. You could, if you want, use two racks: one wall-mount for the patch panel, switch, shelf/modem/router; and one floor-standing for the NAS, UPS, and other stuff that will inevitably be added (this is pretty much the arrangement I have).

For the switch, I'll save you some time--find a used Brocade ICX-6450-48P on eBay (and given the minimal cost delta for 48 ports vs. 24, go for 48). Then update and configure it following the instructions here:

Best bang-for-buck you're going to find. Lots more information here:

As for the patch panel, especially if you're putting keystones into it, don't worry about brand; it's literally just a frame to hold the connectors.

onlineforums

Explorer
Wall mount? No way. Even without a UPS it's a lot of weight; with one you could easily top 200 lb. And a R730 is a deep chassis, so that would be a lot of torque. This is going to have to be floor-standing. You could, if you want, use two racks: one wall-mount for the patch panel, switch, shelf/modem/router; and one floor-standing for the NAS, UPS, and other stuff that will inevitably be added (this is pretty much the arrangement I have).

For the switch, I'll save you some time--find a used Brocade ICX-6450-48P on eBay (and given the minimal cost delta for 48 ports vs. 24, go for 48). Then update and configure it following the instructions here:

As for the patch panel, especially if you're putting keystones into it, don't worry about brand; it's literally just a frame to hold the connectors.
Hi Dan,

Right now home is under construction so I can put up an insane amount of backing. 2x6 construction and I can frame that wall of 100% wood if needed; although I'm not opposed to a full height floor if anyone has recommendations for such a model.

I'm also concerned about noise. I'll do what I can for insulation and drywall for the network room but it will be fairly close to a bedroom. Any racks that are more quiet than others??

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd be very surprised if you could find a 1m deep wall-mount rack, which is about what you'd need to house a R730. If you're concerned about noise, it would need to be fully-enclosed and sound-insulated, which would add further to weight. You really don't want to be dealing with that overhead, even if the structure would support it.

Keep in mind, if this is going to be completely enclosed (which it would have to be if you're concerned about noise), you'll need to make adequate provision for cooling. When I tried running my NAS in a closed closet, it overheated in a hurry. A dedicated small mini-split would probably be the minimum.

I'm thinking you've set up some seriously contradictory requirements for yourself.

onlineforums

Explorer
danb35,

Thank you for your response. I want the best of both worlds! :)

I went with the R730 because I had 8 HDDs even though I don't have anything mission critical (just backup of family computers and phone pictures so that it is local and not cloud based). I can easily reduce the redundancy and get away with 4 HDDs if there is a significantly quieter rack mountable server that TrueNAS Core works well on. Any suggestions and then I'll just sell this R730 if it is too loud.

In the closet I'll have an exhaust which will take the air out of the closet and bring air in from under the door. However, again, this closet is near a bedroom and so even with double sheetrock the noise will likely just escape via under the door to the closet but I need that gap to bring in air!

Decisions.... decisions.... I would agree though, it seems a fully enclosed rack would not be a very good idea unless I ran a mini-split system in the closet.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The R730 is a good system and should give you a good amount of room to grow. Plenty of CPU, (room for) plenty of RAM, 10G or faster networking available, etc. You could do a lot worse. But it burns a lot of watts, which means heat, which means you need to deal with it. An A/C vent and return in there might be enough. I have a dedicated mini-split in my server room--and that's in a separate building from my house.

Now, if you're up to consider a completely different server, you could look at the HPE Microserver--the Gen10+ is a nice piece of kit, much smaller and quieter than a R730, but only four drive bays, and none of them are hot-swap. RAM and CPU are considerably more limited than on a R730. But it's still decent server-grade hardware, supports ECC, has decent remote management (though you need an additional card to enable it), etc. If you can make do with four bays, that would greatly reduce the noise, power draw, and therefore heat.

onlineforums

Explorer

I'm looking into the ICX-6450 product and on eBay the 24P actually sells for more than the 48P. Any reason this would be the case? I assume it is because the 24P has less noise (1 fan instead of 2 or 3) and people simply aren't needing the additional 24 ports.

Also any particular SFP+ module that it will work with?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Any reason this would be the case?
I guess noise levels explain it as well as anything else I could think of, though the 48P isn't bad at all IMO (the 6610 is a screamer, but the 6450 is pretty reasonable).
Also any particular SFP+ module that it will work with?
My go-to source for optics (and fiber patch cables) is fs.com; they sell brand-new compatible optics for abut $20 each. But the one optic I have in that switch is a used Brocade unit from eBay.

bonox

Dabbler
you can get vertical mount racks which would suit a deep 2U nicely, but you'd need a normal rack for the comms gear.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I can fit a rack in the "network room" but it seems like even though the sizes (width, depth, etc) are standard [..]
The depth is not standard, at least not in the sense that there is only one size to find.

As to wall-mounting the rack, I would not want to ever do that. And I have steel-enforced concrete for my basement walls. So yes, it would be possible to do. But at the cost of expensive mounting material and overall complexity. Avoiding the latter has become the most important thing for me in IT (and life in general).

jlpellet

Patron
Given your equipment, I'm not sure I'd start with a rack versus something like wire shelving. The only really heavy equipment would be the server & UPS(s).

For a rack, I would definitely go with a open floor standing rack with casters. It is much easier to work on. I'd leave at least 2U above & below each device to ease access.

In my experience, rack mount UPS are 2~10 times floor standing of same capacity so I'd avoid rack UPS unless your power need is > 3KVA, which I think your description would not. I'd also plan on 2 UPS with split loads inluding the redundant server ps.

Regarding heat/airflow, I think I'd start with just below-door inlet & see what the noise is like. It would be pretty simple to ass ducted/baffled air inlet later if needed. Since it sounds like your just building, there are many noise suppresion option, but it really depends on the area layout & adjacent room noise sensitivity.

Sounds neat.

Arwen

MVP
@nabsltd - Look down. The "s" and "d" keys are right next to each other. So my "guess" would be;
It would be pretty simple to add ducted/baffled air inlet later if needed.
But, I have seen some pretty asinine auto-spell correct words. So your point is pretty valid.

PS: The "Look down" comment was to look down at the keyboard.