What is the best way to backup from MacBook Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colly222

Dabbler
Hi all,

I'm an absolute rookie so apologies if I annoy anyone trying to help.

I have Freenas installed on a Hp Microserver and I use it simply to back-up all my media. My girlfriend now wants to do this as well with some of her design work so I installed a couple of new drives (WD red) and setup a AFP share as she is using a MacBook pro. Transfer rate is very slow though.

As I've only just done this, I thought I would ask if there was a better way of achieving this result by starting again? SMB/CIFS/FTP etc

Appreciate this is rookie, and I've had a really good search so anyone taking pity on me and pointing me in the right direction would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

garm

Wizard
Please define "backup"..
If your mac is the primary storage just run timemachine, if your FreeNAS box is the primary storage you need to back that up. So, what is the actual use case?

Colly222

Dabbler
Please define "backup"..
If your mac is the primary storage just run timemachine, if your FreeNAS box is the primary storage you need to back that up. So, what is the actual use case?
Sorry, knew I'd mess this up. Essentially, I want to know the best way to move files from the Macbook, to the Freenas box. Girlfriend uses MacBook to create content from lots of video files and then saves end product on MacBook for use, backed up to iCloud. However, the files used to create the content (videos and photos) are then moved to the Freenas box.
I'm after the best way to move these files as the AFP share I have now is slow.

Thanks

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Edit: strike that I am not a Mac user, but think I remember reading that Mac on AFP was sync always. Unless I am wrong on that.

It might be faster to delete this AFP share and use SMB instead. Then the transfer would be asynchronous, which is faster. Especially if she is just moving her files off the laptop and onto the NAS for longer term storage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sorry, knew I'd mess this up. Essentially, I want to know the best way to move files from the Macbook, to the Freenas box. Girlfriend uses MacBook to create content from lots of video files and then saves end product on MacBook for use, backed up to iCloud. However, the files used to create the content (videos and photos) are then moved to the Freenas box.
I'm after the best way to move these files as the AFP share I have now is slow.

Thanks
You did fine. Welcome to the forum. We are not bashing you, but sometimes we need clarification on exactly what you're looking to do.

Colly222

Dabbler
You did fine. Welcome to the forum. We are not bashing you, but sometimes we need clarification on exactly what you're looking to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk[/QUOT
I am not a Mac user, but I remember reading that Mac on AFP was sync always. Unless I am wrong on that. It might be faster to delete this AFP share and use SMB instead. Then the transfer would be asynchronous, which is faster.

Thank you. I'll give it a go.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, AFP is not sync=always. TimeMachine is slow, that's just the way it is. If you're trying to use it to back up, just deal with the fact that it's going to be slow.

If what you're actually wanting is a file share where she can store her files (rather than a backup of her computer), just create another SMB share for that purpose. AFP is on its way out; TimeMachine is the only thing left that really uses it (and that's going to be going away before too long as well).

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

garm

Wizard
That’s my setup, AFP share for TM and SMB for the rest. TM even get its own dataset and user. macOS has no issue running multiple shares to the same machine and IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.