Which casesensitivity mode is best for an AFP Share for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete248

Dabbler
I'm still argumenting back and forth, what is the best casesensitivity mode for a dataset, that is used primarily for sharing files via APF to Mac clients. As Apple is slowly moving towards SMB this might change to SMB sometimes in the future.

As HFS+ is case insensitive, casesensitivity=insensitive sounds to be the first choice. But as I've run my FreeNAS server with casesensitivity=sensitive for quite some time, there may already be files with mixed case sensitivity on the server. So casesensitivity=mixed might be better?

But is there really any important benefit in real world usage for switching from sensitive to mixed, which is quite a bit of a hassle to do. I've reread the zfs documentation about case sensitivity several times, but I still don't get, how the system behaves with AFP requests to a case sensitive vs mixed zfs filesystem. IMO if I write a file foo to the share while a file FOO exists already, with insensitive it overwrites FOO with sensitive it creates a new file and with mixed? And if foo and FOO exist both, what does a mixed filesystem show me? Two files or one, and if only one which one?

It seems, sensitive probably gives more predictical results. As long as the files stay on the server, there are no problems with case sensitivity set to sensitive. Only, when mixed case files are transferred to the HFS+ volumes, conflicts occur. But the Finder warns you about the issue. So currently I tend to stick with sensitive.

Would by nice, if someone could clarify the behavior with casesensitivity set to mixed and give some recommendations, which mode to use on the zfs side for my kind of usage.

Pete

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

I asked the devs and got this answer:

Filesystems on the Mac can be either case sensitive or insensitive, so in some sense this is a user preference, but case insensitive is the default so I suppose that would be best for AFP as well if they want AFP mounts to follow the same semantics as local filesystems.

Thinkcat

Dabbler
Is there any place that would really explain the differences between sensitive, mixed and insensitive? The zfs manpage really does not do it. And neither does a page by Oracle that I found. It simply talks about "matching behavior". What should I do if I want a zfs volume to act like a basic HFS+ volume? I should set it to insensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.