Function of 'Share Type' setting on dataset Edit Options dialog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stualden

Explorer
I am trying to document some bugs which are apparent in the dataset Edit Options dialog (which you get by selecting a dataset from the list under Storage and clicking on the wrench icon). In particular, I am focusing on two of the fields:

--Case Sensitivity - it appears that the dialog box will sometimes report "Sensitive" when in fact the casesensitivity property for the dataset is Insensitive (at least according to zfs get all, which I am presuming is correct).

--Share Type - this one has me confused. I cannot see any property distinction between creating a dataset with Unix share type versus Windows share type. (Haven't tested Mac yet.)

My question - when you establish a "share type" from the Edit Options dialog box, what does that do? Does it set some dataset properties I can't view through zfs get all? Or does it set some other flag somewhere, in anticipation of the dataset being shared?

Thanks,

--Stu

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Dataset share type change the way permissions are stored on the file. POSIX mode bits vs acls.

stualden

Explorer
Thank you, just what I needed to know. Is there a shell command that would let me confirm the share type? It's spontaneously changing on the dialog box field (as is case sensitivity) so I don't trust what it says there.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can just ls you files or use getfacl to look at your permissions.

I also think there is something wrong with your system because no one else has these problems. What are your system specifications do they meet the minimum requirements?

stualden

Explorer
I believe it's the same as bug 8002, but I'm just trying to describe it in further detail.

I will research my hardware and get it into my signature, but that should not be a problem - Supermicro MB, 16G of ECC RAM, 6 1T drives in ZF2 pool plus a 1T hot spare.

stualden

Explorer
It's the same problem reported here, which in turn appears to have led to bug #8002. See the last post in this thread:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/dataset-dont-remember-settings.27538/

So I don't think it's just my system. I believe there is also trouble with the share type field, not just the case sensitivity field. Moreover, the fact that case sensitivity is not changeable after dataset creation leads me to believe that the case sensitivity field on the dialog box should not be editable (should not have a drop-down) after the dataset has already been created. Otherwise it implies that you can change case sensitivity after the fact.

I'm not trying to cause trouble, I'm just trying to help fix the bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.