Help me understand case sensitivity on SMB type Dataset

neznein9

Cadet
New to TrueNAS Scale - I'm trying to setup datasets to share over SMB, and I want to maintain case sensitivity. When I create the dataset and select `SMB` as the Share Type, it automatically changes Case Sensitivity to `Insensitive` and doesn't let me edit the field.

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting discussion about case sensitivity but nothing that really explains how to set this up properly. Thanks for any help.

Using: TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Windows is case-insensitive, so that's what should be used with SMB. Why do you feel the need to share via SMB a dataset that's case-sensitive?

neznein9

Cadet
I've got a Windows machine in my network, and I've been reading that SMB is the most cross-compatible protocol...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It is, but that doesn't mean it wasn't designed primarily for case-insensitive systems.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
New to TrueNAS Scale - I'm trying to setup datasets to share over SMB, and I want to maintain case sensitivity. When I create the dataset and select `SMB` as the Share Type, it automatically changes Case Sensitivity to `Insensitive` and doesn't let me edit the field.

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting discussion about case sensitivity but nothing that really explains how to set this up properly. Thanks for any help.

Using: TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2
If you want a casesensitive dataset then just don't use the dataset share_type preset. There's nothing preventing you from sharing a "GENERIC" dataset over SMB, you will just need to set up ACLs on your own (SMB preset sets some generic defaults that grant local SMB users MODIFY access.