Case Sensitivity on datasets for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMiGAmann

Contributor
Hello,

when creating a dataset, the case sensitivity must be chosen. Because it cannot be altered later, I want to make sure to preset it with the correct value.

I want to create shares for Windows clients only. Although I chose "Windows" as share type, the default value for "case sensitivity" is "sensitive". Because windows actually has no case sensitivity I would assume that "insensitive" would be a better decision.

I created two datasets, one with value "sensitive" and one with "insensitive", but I could not find a different behaviour when accessing the CIFS share with a Windows 7 client.

So as a conclusion: When using Windows clients only am I correct that the actual value is not important?

Regards,
AMiGAmann

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,

when creating a dataset, the case sensitivity must be chosen. Because it cannot be altered later, I want to make sure to preset it with the correct value.

I want to create shares for Windows clients only. Although I chose "Windows" as share type, the default value for "case sensitivity" is "sensitive". Because windows actually has no case sensitivity I would assume that "insensitive" would be a better decision.

I created two datasets, one with value "sensitive" and one with "insensitive", but I could not find a different behaviour when accessing the CIFS share with a Windows 7 client.

So as a conclusion: When using Windows clients only am I correct that the actual value is not important?

Regards,
AMiGAmann

I'd leave the default value of "sensitive". Samba (CIFS service) handles all the compatibility stuff for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.