Case Sensitivity

TravisT

Patron
For a while, I've been having unwanted results with case sensitivity, but haven't taken the time to investigate. Yesterday, I began to look around in the GUI and noticed that the case sensitivity setting was set to "sensitive". I also noticed that this could only be selected during setup. I likely left the default when setting up my new server, but I've always used the default previously from what I remember.

I read up on the case sensitivity options and not sure that I understand them well. Because I'm a hands-on learner, I just setup two more datasets - one with 'Mixed' and one with 'Insensitive'. The datasets are being shared via SMB to Mac clients.

Each dataset behaves almost identically, so maybe I'm missing a setting. The original 'Sensitive' dataset immediately changes capital file names to lowercase. Both the 'Mixed' and the 'Insensitive' datasets very briefly accept the capital letters within files, but after no more than a second it converts file names to all lowercase.

This is really a personal preference thing, but has been bugging me for a while and I was hoping to get to the bottom of it. Am I missing something?

seanm

Guru
Mac is case-insensitive (but case-preserving). So is Windows. Best to use case insensitive for your ZFS datasets.

TravisT

Patron
Understood, however regardless of the setting on FreeNAS, the case is always converted to lowercase on my FreeNAS shares for any new files created. I'm trying to understand/correct that issue.

TravisT

Patron
You were exactly right. I'm not sure how/why, but I had auxiliary parameters set in smb that were forcing lowercase.

Thanks!