What is iXsystems hiding from us?

Arwen

MVP
Yes, I moved to TrueNAS Core because it was based on Gentoo Linux.

Shame the first day of April is so far away. It would be foolish to read something other than that into this post.
Seems to be reading my post as serious. But, I guess I was serious about my joke :smile:.

Brave AI thinks that FreeBSD is "more good better" than Linux at memory management, because "Linux is poopy bad and FreeBSD is 'smart enough' not to crash, unlike Linux!"

Okay, maybe not worded exactly like that, but it does resemble what a twelve-year old FreeBSD fanboy would write to smear Linux. :tongue:

more-gooder-better-than-you.png

Whattteva

Wizard
Interesting. I thought the AI thing is a Microsoft Bing thing only, seeing ChatGPT is owned by them.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, Brave have to justify their existence somehow, and clearly it was never going to be through making a serious effort in the "having a better browser" problem space.

Brave AI thinks that FreeBSD is "more good better" than Linux at memory management, because "Linux is poopy bad and FreeBSD is 'smart enough' not to crash, unlike Linux!"

more-gooder-better-than-you-png.67428

From that description you'd think Linux Memory Management was written by a cat.

68f6f207ce44fb8a47d42294197cf275[1].gif

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Everybody knows FreeBSD is cooler than Linux.

16.1. How cool is FreeBSD?​

Q. Has anyone done any temperature testing while running FreeBSD? I know Linux® runs cooler than DOS, but have never seen a mention of FreeBSD. It seems to run really hot.
A. No, but we have done numerous taste tests on blindfolded volunteers who have also had 250 micrograms of LSD-25 administered beforehand. 35% of the volunteers said that FreeBSD tasted sort of orange, whereas Linux® tasted like purple haze. Neither group mentioned any significant variances in temperature. We eventually had to throw the results of this survey out entirely anyway when we found that too many volunteers were wandering out of the room during the tests, thus skewing the results. We think most of the volunteers are at Apple now, working on their new "scratch and sniff" GUI. It is a funny old business we are in!
Seriously, FreeBSD uses the HLT (halt) instruction when the system is idle thus lowering its energy consumption and therefore the heat it generates. Also if you have ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) configured, then FreeBSD can also put the CPU into a low power mode.

Source: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/faq

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Seriously, FreeBSD uses the HLT (halt) instruction when the system is idle thus lowering its energy consumption and therefore the heat it generates. Also if you have ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) configured, then FreeBSD can also put the CPU into a low power mode.
Better than HCF (Halt and Catch Fire) I suppose.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Better than HCF (Halt and Catch Fire) I suppose.
Not to mention letting the magic smoke out.

Apropos ... this FAQ entry is ... ancient. Probably authored by JKH himself.

Arwen

MVP
During my first stay at Sun, my next door cube mate let the magic smoke out of her SunRay 1 thin client. Smelled bad for a minute. But, seeing as this was Sun, it was easy enough to create a ticket, take the ticket number to the mail room and get a replacement.

(SunRay 1s had a build or engineering fault where a resister was too low a wattage for the use intended. Thus, it eventually burned up. No fire hazard, so I don't think their was a recall.)

Gee this reminds me of the new Ryzen problems some people are having. The CPU literally is getting hot enough to damage sockets on certain brand motherboards.

Whattteva

Wizard
Gee this reminds me of the new Ryzen problems some people are having. The CPU literally is getting hot enough to damage sockets on certain brand motherboards.
I think Nvidia also had some issue with their RTX 3080/3090 before where games like Cyberpunk New World can cause their cards to fry physically.

Last edited:
I bring more bad news to everyone. You know those SATA drives you plan on purchasing for your NAS? Might as well forget it. :frown:

cant-use-sata-with-sata.png

Does anyone have any recommendations that will work for me? I have some available SATA ports on my motherboard, but apparently I can't use SATA drives with them. I'm open to try out other alternatives.

It just keeps getting harder and harder to find compatible hardware these days...

My goodness, this one actually hurt my lungs from laughing so hard!

Seriously, I had to read it three or four times to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

I LOVE BRAVE A.I.!

wtf.png

TrueNAS 12 was codenamed "Farewell FreeNAS", and apparently iXsystems renamed TrueNAS Enterprise to... TrueNAS Enterprise.

You learn something new every day! :smile:

EDIT: Wait. I just realized it never answered my original question...

Whattteva

Wizard
TrueNAS 12 was codenamed "Farewell FreeNAS", and apparently iXsystems renamed TrueNAS Enterprise to... TrueNAS Enterprise.
This is inaccurate. It was renamed into two things. TrueNAS Enterprise was renamed to TrueNAS CORE AND TrueNAS Enterprise. I guess it's a Schrodinger's cat now!!!

Ladies and gents, we have entered a new era. TrueNAS product line has officially entered the quantum realm.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've always considered Brave a joke at best, but I guess it reflects the bravery of putting such a terrible, terrible product out there.