What is iXsystems hiding from us?

Arwen

MVP
Yes, I moved to TrueNAS Core because it was based on Gentoo Linux. This gives such a big win when using USB 5.x standard devices. Plus, found an AMD motherboard with RISC-V RV128GQC 80 core CPU that works great with PCIe 6.2. Combined, with TrueNAS written in JAVA on a 128 bit CPU, this is perfect for a low performance home system. Add anymore CPU cores and you would end up with a super computer.

I am waiting with baited breath for their new product, TrueNAS Express. Designed to work on really low end servers for personal storage. Leaves out all the apps, jails, VMs, network LACP and such. Just so that it will work on the SD Card or eMMC storage built into many NAS Plugs. With the 4 USB 2.0 ports for storage, that is plenty for the average user. We have the new Eastern Lake Leopard disks, with 54TB and optional USB 2.0 interface. Perfect for TrueNAS Express.

Shame the first day of April is so far away. It would be foolish to read something other than that into this post.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
And here I thought Core was based off a PDP-1 virtual machine running a PL/1 to machine code interpreter... Who knew ZFS had its origins in the original 4-bit file systems of the 70s?

Valued contributor @Samuel Tai YOU, have violated a rule of core mainframe discussion, by not including a link (and preferably also a picture) of the machine being discussed.

I therefore present the magnificent PDP-1:
pdp1-chm-e1496179960838.jpg

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
@Constantin, maybe you could immortalize a PDP-1 in your annual Halloween papier-mâché extravaganza?

@Constantin, maybe you could immortalize a PDP-1 in your annual Halloween papier-mâché extravaganza?
The amount of attention to detail that requires would be quite the challenge! Not sure how well it will resonate with the younger generation and kids. :tongue:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
That reminds me of the PiDP-11 that I still have to solder.

Etorix

Wizard
Not sure how well it will resonate with the younger generation and kids. :tongue:
The younger generation may find it frightening as hell… and way over the top for Halloween. :eek:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
TrueNAS Express
Ah yes, the final link in the PCI-SIG's evil plan to dominate the world by appending "Express" to every technology on the planet.
PCI? PCI Express.
SATA? SATA Express, because they threw in the towel and just adopted PCIe.
SD? SD Express, where the logo is a disc and the interface is PCIe.
ExpressCard? Because there was a short gap between laptops being sufficiently integrated to not need add-on cards and PCMCIA being too slow - and where there's a gap, there's PCIe.
NVMe? Gotta expressify Non-Volatile Memory with some PCIe. Also, we put some Express in your PCI Express, so you can feel the speed while you feel the speed.
CFexpress? If SD cards can run PCIe, surely CF cards can, too!

With all the world's hardware consumed by PCIe, clearly the time has come to invade software as well. I predict that half the world's software will be labeled "Express" by 2030.

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
Ah yes, the final link in the PCI-SIG's evil plan to dominate the world by appending "Express" to every technology on the planet.
PCI? PCI Express.
SATA? SATA Express, because they threw in the towel and just adopted PCIe.
SD? SD Express, where the logo is a disc and the interface is PCIe.
ExpressCard? Because there was a short gap between laptops being sufficiently integrated to not need add-on cards and PCMCIA being too slow - and where there's a gap, there's PCIe.
NVMe? Gotta expressify Non-Volatime Memory with some PCIe. Also, we put some Express in your PCI Express, so you can feel the speed while you feel the speed.
CFexpress? If SD cards can run PCIe, surely CF cards can, too!

With all the world's hardware consumed by PCIe, clearly the time has come to invade software as well. I predict that half the world's software will be labeled "Express" by 2030.
Well, to be honest with you, I'd prefer the "Express" domination over the "i-<insert_product_here>" Apple branding domination.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ah good, because iPhones run PCIe for their storage.

Etorix

Wizard
Well, to be honest with you, I'd prefer the "Express" domination over the "i-<insert_product_here>" Apple branding domination.
Let us be ecumenical: Welcome the one and only storage solution, the iNAS Express Cube.
Double domination. Resistance is futile.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
TrueNAS on forty 8" hard drives. $24,000 and an additional 800 lbs.

Not to mention the weight of the nuclear power plant needed to drive them. I'm thinking back to the Sun 3/2xx days. The 8" Fuji M2372K hanging on my office wall came out of a deskside pedestal chassis, which was a bit narrower than a two drawer file cabinet. What a cabling nightmare that'd be.

Whattteva

Wizard
Let us be ecumenical: Welcome the one and only storage solution, the iNAS Express Cube.
Double domination. Resistance is futile.
Eeeewwwwwww, nooooooooooooo..... You said the taboo word!

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Ha. The PDP11-Vax 750 we had in school allegedly required the installation of a dedicated transformer on a pad outside thanks to the load the hard drive imposed during startup plus the dedicated HVAC system needed to keep that room cool. I believe we had the DEC RA81 array as that would get us to the ˜430MB I remember being the system capacity.

So about 1lb of drive per MB of storage (363lbs) and 650W idle heat production. If we go with a standard amount of storage for the TrueNAS Core OS (16GB), we'd be looking at about 37 drives and 24kW of continuous heat production. Pretty frightening, even if you get the power for free.

Don't think the Kids would be scared of tall cabinets or Berkley Unix (4.3??). Only promise I can make is no scorpions when my mother passes (she made me, after the frilly lizard for Papa and the fire ant for Baba).

Last edited:
Released almost two years ago and still no download link? :mad:

brave-ai-u5-release-date.png

Last edited:
So apparently the back-end of Brave's artificial intelligence is a "peacekeeper".

"I'll tell you whatever you want me to say, sweetie..."

true-gentoo.png

Virtually any consumer hardware...
I LOVE Gentoo! This. Is. Awesome!