What is everyone doing for backup now days?

rwslippey

Contributor
So for the last few months I've been getting those dreaded emails from CrashPlan Pro telling me nothing is getting backed up but I've been busy. I knew the PC (old desktop I had running for the backup instance) had some issues and just hadn't gotten around to it.

Today I put up another computer for my daughter and the plan was to keep this on all the time to backup the freenas, well that didn't work. I can't add any network drives or even mapped drives. I forget how I made this work in the past but it would appear the latest version, unless I'm missing something, just won't allow network backups.

I've seen some posts here about docker but to be honest I know nothing about docker at all so I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel.

What's everyone using for their backup service now days? I was using BackBlaze but I've got a lot of data for archiving and it was getting up into 60-70 a month. I need to look at their pricing again because I'm not sure that's what I came up with at the start. AWS is also not ideal for the amount of data I have. I'd honestly prefer a static monthly cost and not one based on amount of storage but that's asking a lot I know.

Any ideas?

I feel like this has been a constant struggle throughout the years

Thanks again, it's good to see the familiar avatars from years ago when I first got started, those guys helped me out a lot!

garm

Wizard
With the addition of rclone to FreeNAS it’s dead easy do set up a native backup task to a myriad of locations, personally I prefer AWS

rwslippey

Contributor
With the addition of rclone to FreeNAS it’s dead easy do set up a native backup task to a myriad of locations, personally I prefer AWS

Yea, I have used AWS extensively in the past but as my data storage requirements have risen considerably I'm already looking at $100/ Mo.

I'm seeing something with rclone and Google Drive and it appears Google Drive has unlimited options.

I really sound like a cheapo above... Problem is I'll be storing this data for an extremely long period of time, forever basically, or at least until I move on from this world. When you add that up, that's a lot of money. Ultimately I just need to build a destination server somewhere else and be done with it. but until then....

rwslippey

Contributor
Ok, I'm going to bite the bullet, why do you prefer AWS over say Google Cloud or BackBlaze?

Just curious, good thing I'm not a cat right....

myoung

Explorer
Yea, I have used AWS extensively in the past but as my data storage requirements have risen considerably I'm already looking at $100/ Mo.
I set up a lifecycle rule that puts my backup bucket straight to deep glacier. $1/TB/month. Will cost a buttload more if I ever need to restore, but I *probably* won't ever need to...
That's my risk calculus at least.

rwslippey

Contributor
I set up a lifecycle rule that puts my backup bucket straight to deep glacier. $1/TB/month. Will cost a buttload more if I ever need to restore, but I *probably* won't ever need to...

How did I miss that....

rwslippey

Contributor

How does that work for data that changes routinely? Or do you just have a bucket for archived data that will never change?