Backblaze backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I really cant speak to their reliability, but they claim 11 9s.
That number doesn't pass the smell test. That would mean that their services have less than one second of downtime every 31,709 years. Neither Amazon nor Google can manage anything close.

icsy7867

Contributor
11 9's is actually the standard for Amazon I believe:

From their S3 FAQ
Amazon S3 Standard and Standard - IA are designed to provide 99.999999999% durability of objects over a given year.

I do have trouble understanding how they do this without replication to multiple regions. However for my purposes I think I would be covered with my RaidZ2 and an offsite backup. I am still learning about the S3 pricing structure.

Wasabi has a complicated billing structure. It looks like the minimum storage is 1TB and that they only bill in increments of 1TB

I dont think they bill in increments. They just have a minimum of 1TB, with $0.0039/GB/Month. They specifically say on their website:
"(These are not fixed size plans - just examples using Wasabi’s flat-rate storage pricing of $.0039/GB/Month)". @~700GB and below, B2 would be cheaper.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Amazon S3 Standard and Standard - IA are designed to provide 99.999999999% durability of objects over a given year.
That sounds like something very different. I was taking "reliability" as uptime, but this sounds like they're claiming that less than 1 in 1 billion "objects" goes MIA. A bit more credible, perhaps.

LIGISTX

Guru
Has anyone figured out their backup plans since last discussed? I finally have my nas set up and datasets are sorted out to my liking, so now I know what I personally am trying to accomplish. All of my personal data is in 2 datasets, and I need to back that up. I am not at home at the moment, but off hand I want to say the datasets are 2-3TB total, lots of music, pictures, Lightroom catalog, home videos ect. Just years and years of personal /datahording as you all mostly can appreciate.

I already own a few backblaze licenses that I am not using, and I know they don’t support network attached storage for obvious reasons, but I am not even trying to get around that reasoning. My personal datasets are not on other machines, so it’s not like I’m pushing all of my home backups to the nas as a single user account backup and cheat then of money. I have multiple computers running backblaze to backup their data (in the event of a catastrophic issue that requires recover, it would be easy easier to just restore on a PC by PC basis, thus no reason to try and cheat the system with an all inclusive NAS->backblaze backup), so I don’t feel like I am trying to do anything immoral or unethical; although maybe I am wrong.

I guess point is, if I want to backup a spsecific dataset or two, how would I best go about this? I was thinking a windows VM specifically to handle this backup. Problem is I don’t know how to mount the dataset in windows without SMB... am I SOL, and need to just use B2 or some other service?

icsy7867

Contributor
If you have 2-3Tb, I would use crashplan small business. About $120/year, unlimited and will work with samba shares. I use to use a Linux VM with a nfs mount.

That quantity of data would be very expensive using AWS, BackBlaze, or wasabi.

LIGISTX

Guru
So I guess the real question here is there is no way to pass the VM the freenas dataset besides networked attached means? There has to be, I feel like there are so many use cases where that would be valuable...

Xelas

Explorer
I have a small Ubuntu VM set up with Crashplan Pro (I run everything, including FreeNAS, in ESXi). I made NFS shares, set them to read-only (because I ALSO have the datastores sharing via CIFS and don't want NFS to step on CIFS - this is not "best practice", but it's been working for me for 2 years with no issues), and set up mountpoints in that Ubuntu instance. I'm backing up about 4TB. Same as everyone else, I was looking for a spot to land after the demise of Crashplan Home, but the Pro plan, although more expensive, is still a very good deal, AND they were offering a huge discount, AND they were automatically migrating the datasets over to the Crashplan Pro account if you had a Home account (up to 5TB) so no need to upload all of the stuff again, AND they have encryption on their client. I was using a big random string as my encryption key, and re-entering that key into the Pro client allowed it to pick the backups right up with no issues.

I'm pretty sure you can set up Ubuntu (or your favorite Linux flavor) in a VM inside FreeNAS, or run it on separate PC and it will work fine. I'm also pretty sure it will work if you mount Samba shares the same way and avoid sharing the same files via NFS as well, since this is actually not best-practice.

This has worked perfectly fine with Crashplan Home as well - the Home client never supported backing up shared drives, but running it in Linux and pointing it at mounted shared drives bypassed that limitation beautifully (violating their ToS as well, I'm sure).

I'm perfectly happy with my setup now, and the Pro version officially allows backing up shares, so it's all kosher.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I have tested the B2 service on 11.1-RC1 and it works well.

Sorry to come late to the party here, but I've just discovered the B2 pricing, which seems pretty good and apparently backblaze is built into FreeNAS now.
My question is, is it fully, 100% encrypted so the backblaze folk can't see the data?

(it's nothing illegal, surprisingly) but it's a lot of personal documents / legal stuff?

danb35

Hall of Famer
My question is, is it fully, 100% encrypted so the backblaze folk can't see the data?
No, it's not in the least, 0%, encrypted. rclone supports encryption, but the implementation in FreeNAS doesn't right now. I think that's supposed to be enabled in 11.2, but not sure of that.

diskdiddler

Wizard
No, it's not in the least, 0%, encrypted. rclone supports encryption, but the implementation in FreeNAS doesn't right now. I think that's supposed to be enabled in 11.2, but not sure of that.
You're right, I meant to come back and update this post, there's a feature request filed and on the bug tracker, so it is planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.