Backblaze Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezra

Contributor
Hey guys,

Running my FreeNAS on a new Ryzen 1700x for quite a while now, still not stable. But we'll get there.

I've setup Backups to BackblazeB2 some time ago. I didn't have a great feeling about privacy there yet... So I went on searching about encryption, its not enabled by default that i know of on Freenas?
https://www.backblaze.com/company/privacy.html

Code:
Data Security
Backblaze products are designed to have several layers of security.

• We use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)/Transport Layer Security (TLS) to create a secure tunnel to protect data in transit between Backblaze apps and servers.
  • We don't retain your actual account password, but hash and salt it to help protect it against possible compromise.
  • You have the option to enable two-factor verification, a login feature that adds an extra layer of security to your account.
  • We narrowly limit the number of Backblaze employees who have access to user data through policy and technical access controls.
  • For Computer Backup, your files are automatically encrypted by default on your computer before being sent to Backblaze. The encrypted files are sent and stored in encrypted form. By default, Backblaze retains a copy of the encryption key to make data recovery possible if you forget your password. However, you can choose to keep the only copy of the key if you prefer.
  • !!!!!!!!!!!For B2 Cloud Storage, it is up to you whether you choose to encrypt your files before uploading them.

Would there be any 'how to' to accomplish this? Since its not an option within the cloudstorage menu or the Tasks menu.

Kind regards,

Ezra

ezra

Contributor
Thats just great, thank you very much. I'll monitor this !

Crasher

Cadet
Not sure of a workaround for now, but this feature is coming in 11.2: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/26924.

Hi

So if I setup a Cloud sync on my current FreeNAS version (11.1-U4) to do a backup to Backblaze B2, will I be able, when 11.2 gets released to the public, to turn on encryption or do I need to redo the entire setup of Cloud sync and redo my backups inorder to get a encrypted version instead?

What I can see right now 11.2 is due to be rls in 2 months, but as we all know those dates can be postponed.

I could set up a jail that runs rclone to get the backup done and encrypted, but having everything seamlessly integrated into FreeNAS is even better =)

D

dlavigne

Good question (would require testing to figure out the answer). If anyone has time to spin up a virtual env to test that would be great :smile:

If you can wait til early next week, you can use BETA1 to create the task as it has the fix.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I could set up a jail that runs rclone
Why set up a jail? rclone is already in the base FreeNAS system, so you can run it directly from the CLI and script it as desired.

Crasher

Cadet
Why set up a jail? rclone is already in the base FreeNAS system, so you can run it directly from the CLI and script it as desired.

Ok, then I've missed that. I've been reading about how to set up a backup service to backblaze b2 with encryption, for the last few days, on the freenas and found some guides that either used a rclone jail or rclone + duplicity jail (even if I still don't understand/find a reason why one should use duplicity to make backups). This part is new to me so I'm open for tips to learn more about this system. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.