What happens when a disk fails, why is it resilvering?

emsicz

Explorer
I'm having trouble following TrueNAS Scale procedures when a disk fails. One of the disks in my NAS has failed. From the UI I can't figure out how many disks are actually in that NAS, which one has failed and what is happening now. You could say I'm a little surprised at how badly UI communicates with me (except the email notification that a disk failed, that worked perfectly fine).

Home screen actually says the pool is degraded, but no notification in the top right corner. I would expect that failed disk would light up all kinds of warnings, but no. All I see is small orange status on home screen.

2023-06-25_043330.png

When I click on pool status icon in there, I am presented with a screen that says two things are unavail. So did one drive fail or two? Is there 8 drives total or 9? The above screen says total disks 8 (data), spares: 1. So total disks is actually 9?

2023-06-25_043617.png

From this screen I still can't figure out what is actually wrong. There are two spare branches, although I'm pretty sure I only had 1 spare disk in that pool when I was setting it up. Also it says in the SPARE branch that sda is online, but in the second spare branch, it says sda is unavail. What do I make of this? And finally, TrueNAS is running "resilvering." Why?

I guess what I exected is pretty straightforward instruction that tells me SN of the failing disk, so I can just replace it, but instead I am presented with all of this above and I can't figure anything out. What am I missing here?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you're using spares, you need to understand what you're doing...

When a spare is in use, it shows as unavail in the Spare VDEV, and forms its own VDEV in the pool with the failed disk to take over function from it.

As you can see, your disk had a good number of read and write errors, so the spare was brought in to avoid data loss. (sda, your spare, appears twice)

You now need to decide what to do... remove the spare designation and continue with that disk in the pool (option to add/designate a new spare after that) or replace the failed disk and return the spare for the next failure.

If you haven't already taken note of which disks are which in a meaningful way, you'll need to do elimination from the list of serial numbers in the Disks view... the only one you won't see will be the broken disk (if it's still broken enough to not show up in the list).

emsicz

Explorer
Thanks. I've done reading on the forum and I think I have some understanding.
  1. There is no way for TrueNAS to give me a simple table with disks that are present/missing with their serial numbers. Blown away by this. Windows Storage Spaces has this.
  2. I can't find any iX knowledgebase that simply goes over the process of replacing a failed disk. I am told I need to understand what I'm doing. Where do I obtain this understanding?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The process of replacing spares isn't specifically covered in the official docs (linked at the top of this site), but they do cover the disk replacement (if that's the option you're choosing, it works the same when spares are involved or not).

I don't know (since I don't do it a lot myself) if recent versions support it fully in the GUI, but the principles are simple... detach the failed disk to continue using the spare permanently or replace the disk as per standard process and then detach the spare to put it back to "spare".

emsicz

Explorer
Thanks. The resilvering has finished today and I am even more confused by the UI. I have finally received a notification bubble:

20230627 - Failed disks.png

I rejoiced, because this is exactly what I wanted to see in the first place -- give me a list of failed disks. However, when I tried checking present disks in the pool, I noticed that the 1EH1PABN drive is displayed as ONLINE:

20230627 - SDA disk.png

20230627 - SDA ONLINE.png

I think this is because this was the spare disk and TrueNAS is trying to tell me that it now has no spare disk. Correct? So I am told two drives are not healthy, but in all actuality, only 1 drive needs replacing. Correct?

For sake of completeness, here is the whole disk view now:

20230627 - Deadpool disks.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
That's a spare that was once in use, but is now not available in the system, so you see it where it was first put (in the "spare" VDEV) and in the data VDEV itself in a SPARE group (where it kicked in as a spare).

you now need to detach that spare from the pool (maybe possible from the 3 dots in the GUI or maybe with zpool detach DEADPOOL /dev/disk/by-partuuid/4767... you can type the rest)

emsicz

Explorer
Thanks for confirming, but do we agree that in the GUI, this is not very well communicated? I mean I can make a ticket, invest the time, describe the issue, propose some solutions, but I don't want to do all this if veterans disagree and it's just me being a noob. I don't use CLI to command TrueNAS, I use GUI precisely because I have no idea what happens under the hood, GUI is my guarantee that what I click on executes correctly and in the right order, and it seems to me that disk failure is something that should be idiot-proof to handle through GUI. My points during this were:
  1. Can I cancel the resilvering? The UI offers this. What happens if I cancel it? I would want to cancel it, for example, to gracefully shut down in an attempt to reboot, because the disk might come online then?
  2. Since I have RaidZ2 with 1 spare unit, and 1 disk failed, I'm still super safe, because even if yet another unit fails, I'll still be OK, right?
  3. If I replace the broken disk, mistakenly unplug some other disks and TrueNAS boots with insufficient amount of disks to construct the data, am I OK to power everything down, recheck connections and reboot to successful mount?
    1. This point is super-important to me. I realized during this process that TrueNAS will not give me any option to pause boot if there is any issue, it will just attempt to mount and automatically run whatever process if it fails. The reason I am paranoid about this is because if you do this with Windows Storage Spaces (you boot the machine with insufficient data to fully mount the volume), Windows will grab whatever disks it does see, mark the volume as failed and that's it. There is no way to put it back to working state, even if you reboot with rest of the disks connected.
  4. I found there was actually no problem with any of the disks, so I de-dusted the box, made sure no wires were visibly damaged and rebooted, and everything sprung to life. I'm confused as to how this can be - if data has changed, even slightly, since the last moment the drive was online, doesn't the entire content of it need to be recalculated?
And here is my disk view now, when all disks are back online:

20230628 - Deadpool disks after everything back online.png

Inexplicably, the home screen says everything is healthy, everything is fine, all is green. But here I see that spare `sda` is not available and within the RAIDZ2, there are two disks in the spare branch. Here are the actions available for both `sda` and `sdj`:

20230628 - Disk actions.png

I think the correct state is when there is no `SPARE` vdev inside the `RAIDZ2` and there is the `spare` vdev with just `sda` unit in the `DEADPOOL`. Am I correct? And how would I get there? Thanks again.

Last edited:

sretalla