Resource icon

Welcome to TrueNAS SCALE - Beginners Intro

Arwen

MVP
Arwen submitted a new resource:

Welcome to TrueNAS SCALE - Beginners Guide - SCALE quick intro

Since mid 2021 we have had many new users of TrueNAS wanting to try SCALE. Here are some things that are helpful for new TrueNAS SCALE users to know;
  • TrueNAS SCALE is based on Linux, while TrueNAS Core uses FreeBSD, and uses different user land packages
  • Both SCALE & Core only use ZFS for data storage. If you are looking for something disk compatible with MS-Windows, look elsewhere. (But network accessible from MS-Windows is a fully supported feature.)
  • SCALE is not a Linux...

Read more about this resource...

truecharts

Guru
Please try to hardlink the discord invite (see our signature here) and refer to the website...
It's going to save a lot of people the trouble of joining the discord only to get pointed back to the website :tongue:

Also, our projects is called:
"TrueCharts" not "TrueChart", as it's catalog of charts/apps (multiple) ;-)

truecharts

Guru
Addition:
@Arwen Maybe add a section on hostPath validation?
Aka the thing that prevents apps to be used with shares...

Solutions:
- Disable the validation
- Disable shares
- Use TrueCharts with direct NFS storage (guide just got released: https://truecharts.org/manual/guides/nfs-share)

Arwen

MVP
Addition:
@Arwen Maybe add a section on hostPath validation?
Aka the thing that prevents apps to be used with shares...

Solutions:
- Disable the validation
- Disable shares
- Use TrueCharts with direct NFS storage (guide just got released: https://truecharts.org/manual/guides/nfs-share)
I don't even know what your are talking about. If that is a TrueCharts thing, then it is probably beyond the scope of this resource, which is about SCALE.

You can always create a TrueCharts Resource, that points to your web site and has other details. Then, any TrueNAS SCALE user asking about TrueCharts can get a helpful Resource link, even by people that currently don't have any knowledge of TrueCharts.

truecharts

Guru
I don't even know what your are talking about. If that is a TrueCharts thing, then it is probably beyond the scope of this resource, which is about SCALE.

You can always create a TrueCharts Resource, that points to your web site and has other details. Then, any TrueNAS SCALE user asking about TrueCharts can get a helpful Resource link, even by people that currently don't have any knowledge of TrueCharts.

This is one of the BIGGEST issues people are having with TrueNAS SCALE.
We just tried to point out a supper big, support frequently occuring issue with TrueNAS SCALE.

This has nothing to do with TrueCharts, except one of the safer workaround just only happens to work on our Apps.

Last edited:

DaSnipe

Explorer
iX-Systems introduced the HostPath validation, but since people use TrueCharts for apps, we get the brunt. People are attracted to SCALE for the apps, and Host Path validation is a pretty important thing, especially from users coming from the Docker/Linux world where these kind of paths aren't validated and many users use SMB shares with their files.

Arwen

MVP
Could either of you give me a quick line about "HostPath validation" that I can install in to the resource?

It can contain several sentences, even a link. But I can't create something I don't understand. (I don't use SCALE apps.)

Last edited:

DaSnipe

Explorer
Could either of you give me a quick line about "HostPath validation" that I can install in to the resource?

It can contain several sentences, even a link. But I can't create something I don't understand. (I don't use SCALE apps.)
Sorry been busy last couple of weeks

Hostpath validation makes sure apps and sharing services (SMB, NFS, etc) do not use the same data. This is done to avoid permissions issues, as there are a lot of apps that change permissions without giving the user a warning, or just plain do not work with ACL's. There's 3 solutions that could help with this, either disable the validation (inside Advanced App Settings), disable the NFS/SMB shares using that hostpath, or use TrueCharts option to directly attach NFS storage instead of hostpath (guide -> https://truecharts.org/manual/guides/nfs-share)

Arwen

MVP
I've added 2 lines:
  • TrueNAS, both SCALE & Core, use dedicated boot devices:

• TrueNAS does not support sharing storage devices between vDevs or pools.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Arwen

MVP
Except spares...
I had thought that was the case. Tried to find confirmation before I posted that, but failed after a few minutes.

Found the reference after poking at the manual pages more:
Spares can be shared across multiple pools, and can be added with the zpool add command and removed with the
zpool remove command. Once a spare replacement is initiated, a new spare vdev is created within the config-
uration that will remain there until the original device is replaced. At this point, the hot spare becomes
available again if another device fails.
Will update the Resource to include that info.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
It could make sense to include something on the definition of "it works". Too many YouTube videos out there define success as a completed startup and some files being served via SMB. And frankly, many years ago that's what I thought as well. Until I learned the hard way that there is more to "it works".

Instead the following things are required, if your data should really be safe:
  • Component failures (e.g. SATA cables or PSU brown outs) should not corrupt data but raise errors.
  • A system should be stable not only under 40% load, but up to 100%.
  • Like with e.g. bicycles or power tools, there are many scenarios where the old saying of "you get what you pay for" does apply. This particularly applies to electronic components that age more than others (like capacitors).

Thanks for this great resource!

Arwen

MVP
@ChrisRJ - I am not sure how to word it concisely. We don't want to have a full paragraph on one subject. Perhaps this, though I am thinking even that is too long;
  • Just because "it works" after install does not mean that your TrueNAS SCALE server will be reliable in the long run. Or even in the short run. A properly designed, configured and parted out NAS server will generally be reliable. But, many people throw parts together and assume they are suitable. Which may not be the case.
That same applies to the Hostpath Validation that @DaSnipe wrote about. Since that is not a feature I use / understand, I need someone "in the know" to write the lines. But, short. If it is too long, we may loose a reader and they may not continue.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I am fine with this wording. :smile:

Arwen

MVP
Okay, so installed in to the Resource.

DaSnipe

Explorer
@ChrisRJ - I am not sure how to word it concisely. We don't want to have a full paragraph on one subject. Perhaps this, though I am thinking even that is too long;
  • Just because "it works" after install does not mean that your TrueNAS SCALE server will be reliable in the long run. Or even in the short run. A properly designed, configured and parted out NAS server will generally be reliable. But, many people throw parts together and assume they are suitable. Which may not be the case.
That same applies to the Hostpath Validation that @DaSnipe wrote about. Since that is not a feature I use / understand, I need someone "in the know" to write the lines. But, short. If it is too long, we may loose a reader and they may not continue.

If you're using SCALE apps, the whole lines apply, so either let people figure it out on their own or put the problem + solution even if it's wordy. People are using SCALE for Apps, and this is the main problem they'll encounter with Apps + shares. As it's your guide like they say "you do you"

Arwen

MVP
If you're using SCALE apps, the whole lines apply, so either let people figure it out on their own or put the problem + solution even if it's wordy. People are using SCALE for Apps, and this is the main problem they'll encounter with Apps + shares. As it's your guide like they say "you do you"
Hmm, this Resource is just an Intro, not intended to be an Implementation Guide. But, perhaps we can add the app information at the end. Which can include Hostpath Validation. I will give it some thought on how to format the text.

Arwen

MVP
I've added a line about Hostpath Validation and reference the new sticky forum post;

We can in the future still add a paragraph at the end with more details on Hostpath Validation.

wesleyh

Cadet
What is the best recommended pool.
I have 2 things i want to do.
First is have a storage for ISCSI VM's
This system has 7 16TB drives and 4 1.9TB nvme
I want to know the recommended pool for that

Second is i want to create an immutable s3 storage config same hardware setup
Veeam will use S3 now so trying to find a guide for that.
Any recommendations?

Arwen

MVP
What is the best recommended pool.
I have 2 things i want to do.
First is have a storage for ISCSI VM's
This system has 7 16TB drives and 4 1.9TB nvme
I want to know the recommended pool for that

Second is i want to create an immutable s3 storage config same hardware setup
Veeam will use S3 now so trying to find a guide for that.
Any recommendations?
This forum thread is about a forum Resource, not general purpose questions. You can tell by the top of the forum thread has this these links;
Overview Reviews (2) Discussion

Please open a new forum thread in the appropriate sub-forum, probably this one;