WARNING: failed to start prowlarr

chuck990

Cadet
Hi all,

I've just tried installing prowlarr alongside working instances of sonarr, lidarr and radarr in an existing jail, and the process won't even start.

I followed the instructions here:
but that's basically just doing a 'pkg install' as a first step. Even after just that, the process just won't start..

Any tips for first steps in troubleshooting please?

Make sure the directories are owned by the user you are using.

chuck990

Cadet
I've done the usr/local folder, is theer anything else I missed? Other 'arr apps have a usr/local/share folder but prowlarr doesn't look to.
chown -R Jail:Jail /usr/local/prowlarr
In the rc.conf I've also set
prowlarr_user=testnewmedia

So if your user is set to testnewmedia you should use that instead of Jail:Jail. I dont think the share directory is created until you run it successfully.

chown -R testnewmedia:testnewmedia /usr/local/prowlarr

I suppose its also possible that you do have a user named Jail, in which case you should change the rc.conf prowlarr_user=Jail
One of those should work for you.

Then try starting it again

chuck990

Cadet
Sorry, that's a copy paste error - there is a user called Jail, and the rc.conf sets the user as such.
No joy in starting the process, is there anywhere/way to get more verbose output than just "failed to start"?

You can add the verbose flag service prowlarr start -v should give you a little more info. Look in the /usr/local/prowlarr for a log file and read it for more hints.

So i have it up and working in like 1 minute, heres my exact steps.
Code:
pkg install prowlarr
sysrc prowlarr_enable=YES
sysrc prowlarr_user=USER
sysrc prowlarr_group=GROUP
service prowlarr start -v

It started and ran 1st go, I've never used it before and I've also installed it in a jail with some of the companion software you mentioned.

Last edited:
Actually it doesnt seem to be working, however the service starts, reports as running and has a process. I cant pull up the web interface though and strange enough the /usr/local/prowlarr directory is empty

Ok so i got to the bottom of this. In the jail properties you need to allow_mlock=1. Once I did this and restarted the jail the interface came up immediately.

chuck990

Cadet
The jail has allow_mlock enabled, the rc.conf sets the user as Jail, and I've checked the 'usr/local/prowlarr' directory is appropriately owned by the Jail user (same as radarr and readarr which both work):
1679793536750.png

I still however, even with the '-v' command, just get the single line

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/prowlarr: WARNING failed to start prowlarr

the usr/local/prowlarr folder is empty, no logs no nothing

any other tips sorry?

Did you have to set allow mlock or was it already there?

I had to restart the jail after I did it.

Can i see your rc.conf

chuck990

Cadet
allow_mlock was I think already there, but I may have enabled it at some point. Either way, the jail has restarted since.

Here's the rc.conf:
1680051585123.png

TYFLOOZY

Dabbler
I''m having an issue with Prowlarr not deploying, has not deployed ever, tried deleting it multiple times along with the dataset to start fresh. Also it used to have this error when stopping and would stay there(Waiting for pods to be scaled to 0 replica(s), but not sure if I fixed that when messing with network configurations. Not sure if this is a network issue or dataset issue. Still trying to make sure my network configs are perfect as I dont feel solid about them.

On current trueNAS Scale

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 5.55.44 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 5.55.44 PM.png
    761.4 KB · Views: 100

TYFLOOZY

Dabbler
Seems to be happening to Jackett as well, I did have jackett active, but then moved it from PVC to Host Path to a dataset I created. Still running into errors.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 8.01.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 8.01.31 PM.png
    658.5 KB · Views: 89